Posted to user@lucy.apache.org by Eneko Agirre <e....@ehu.es> on 2011/08/02 01:25:08 UTC

[lucy-user] lucene 3.0.3

Hi all,

I'm new to lucene and lucy, and would like to use an preexisting index built using lucene 3.0.3.

the index folder looks like this:
   -rw-r--r--  1 jipagbee jipagbee 29942076619 2011-08-01 03:21 _0.cfx
   -rw-r--r--  1 jipagbee jipagbee 16430943173 2011-07-30 03:33 _1tc.cfs
   -rw-r--r--  1 jipagbee jipagbee         294 2011-08-01 03:21 segments_2
   -rw-r--r--  1 jipagbee jipagbee          20 2011-08-01 03:21 segments.gen

when I try to open the folder with lucy's indexreader I get the following:

Index doesn't seem to contain any data
         lucy_IxReader_do_open at ../core/Lucy/Index/IndexReader.c line 41

Is there anything I can do to open that index with lucy, or is this a version mismatch problem?

thanks

eneko

--

Eneko Agirre
Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea

Re: [lucy-user] lucene 3.0.3

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:42:08AM -0700, Eneko Agirre wrote:
> do any of you know of other Perl modules for using indexes created with
> lucene 3.0.3 or newer?

AFAIK, you have to go through a REST interface, as provided by Solr,
ElasticSearch, etc.  For local access to Lucene indexes, there is a CPAN
distro last updated in 2007, confusing named "Lucene", which actually wraps
CLucene, the C++ port of Lucene -- but CLucene does not yet offer
compatibility with Lucene 3.x.

Lucene's file format is quasi-documented, but practially speaking, it's
private.  It is so aggressively optimized, and it changes so frequently and so
dramatically that it is unrealistic for any library not derived from Java
Lucene line-by-line to keep up.

I believe that the only library other than the direct derivatives of Lucene
which has achieved compatibility with Lucene indexes was KinoSearch, the code
base that has now become Lucy.  KinoSearch 0.05 managed compatibility with
Lucene 1.9 indexes back in 2006 -- but that was only for pure ASCII corpus
data and with no incremental indexing support. :)  We broke compatibility in
0.06 and have not looked back.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-user] lucene 3.0.3

Posted by Eneko Agirre <e....@ehu.es>.
thanks marvin, and sorry to have missed that part of the faq.

do any of you know of other Perl modules for using indexes created with lucene 3.0.3 or newer?

thanks for the help!

eneko

Re: [lucy-user] lucene 3.0.3

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.