Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bill Johnson <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/15 04:19:26 UTC

[OT] orthogonal?

Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean in
relation to software and computers?  I see it
referenced all the time in articles and books and
wasn't quite sure of it's meaning.

-Bill

Re: [OT] orthogonal?

Posted by Jeff Smith <je...@centralscheduling.net>.
Having read through that briefly, I think they're saying something more
like:
1) Localize every piece of information to just one place.
For us, take the example of using Global Constants to ensure that there is
only one place in our code where we actually type the text string "success".
Everywhere else we just refer to that string as a global constant. (Okay, it
doesn't work for the config files, but you get my point.) This is their
"don't repeat anything" part.

2) Compartmentalize everything
This is just good OO design, but it bears repeating. Don't put things in
class/structure/file/module A that dink with things belonging to
class/structure/file/module B. This is their "orthogonal" part.

The meaning of orthogonal really doesn't have anything to do with
repetition. The two concepts are, you guessed it, orthogonal.

Jefficus

Posted by Bill Johnson <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [OT] orthogonal?