Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/11 22:10:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] Integration/e2e test infrastructure requirements

The purpose of this discussion is map out what is required to get the POC
started with https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/858 into master.

The following features were added in the previously mentioned PR:

   - Dockerfile for Metron REST
   - Dockerfile for Metron UIs
   - Docker Compose application including Metron images, Elasticsearch,
   Kafka, Zookeeper
   - Modified travis file that manages the Docker environment and runs the
   e2e tests as part of the build
   - Maven pom.xml that installs all the required assets into the Docker
   e2e module
   - Modified metron-alerts pom.xml that allows e2e tests to be run through
   Maven
   - An example integration test that has been converted to use the new
   infrastructure

Here are the initial features proposed for acceptance into master:

   - All e2e and integration tests run on common infrastructure.
   - All e2e and integration tests are run automatically in the Travis
   build.
   - All e2e and integration tests run repeatably and reliably in the
   Travis build.
   - Debugging options are available and documented.
   - The new infra and how to interact with it is documented.
   - Old infrastructure removed (anything unused or commented out is
   deleted, instead of staying).

Are there other requirements people want to add to this list?

Re: [DISCUSS] Integration/e2e test infrastructure requirements

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.
I think this covers the main things I want to see from a first cut (which
shouldn't be surprising to anyone who followed the PR thread).

The potential follow-on I'd like to see, is having the integration + e2e
tests handled during the maven integration test phase with the failsafe
plugin, instead of just being unit tests. Having said that, it's definitely
low priority, even once this stuff is complete.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
Awesome Ryan!

Posted by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com>.