Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andreas Schildbach <an...@bch-fms.de> on 2001/07/06 19:01:39 UTC

Where to do the init() for Actions?

Is there a similar thing to Servlet.init() in Actions?
I want to access EJB's in Actions and have to setup the InitialContext, look
up some Bean Remote Interfaces, etc. I don't want to do this every time my
Action is called.
If I were using a plain Servlet, I would put this stuff into init()...

Thanks,

 - Andreas

Re: Where to do the init() for Actions?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Martin Cooper wrote:

> You can override the setServlet() method to do this. That method is called
> with a non-null value when an instance is being created and initialised, and
> then called again with a null value when the instance is about to be cleaned
> up.

This is the right answer, but I want to add one little warning -- be
*sure* that you call the superclass method!

  public void setServlet(ActionServlet servlet) {

    super.setServlet(servlet);
    ... your custom initialization ...

  }

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@btInternet.com>.
ActionServlet is a "plain Servlet" you can extend it and override the init()
method (make sure you call super.init(), so that the standard Struts init(0
stuff is done.

Niall