Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2011/09/20 10:37:36 UTC

discussion: database dependent display of backend screens, forms, fields and menus

I know this has come up before and every once in a while a customer is
asking how the reduce the display volume of the back-end.

How about change the screen, form and menu renderer to check for every
field in a database if it should be displayed or not.

The system should be able to start in config or normal mode. Config mode
will enable the user the click on check boxes next to each field or
menuitem on a screen if the fields and menu items should be displayed or
not.

the result is stored in an entity which is interrogated when the system
is in normal mode.

any thoughts?

Regards,
Hans

--
Ofbiz on twitter: http://twitter.com/apache_ofbiz
Alternative ofbiz website: http://www.ofbiz.info

Re: discussion: database dependent display of backend screens, forms, fields and menus

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I like the idea, it a very simplied form of what Jahia CMS provides. There you can edit, not only remove. But Jahia is only a CMS,
not an ERP with other features...
Due to OFBiz structure it should not be to hard to achieve on screens which use only forms. For FTL templates, looks like a bit
harder...

Jacques

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
That was one of the original reasons behind the User Preferences design
- to give users the ability to control screen output.

Maybe have a form widget attribute or element that specifies a
preference group that should be used to control display.

-Adrian

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
if by volume you are speaking of the number of rows, I would have few
suggestions
implement the Partyrelationship so it pulls less records (Iknow it is a
database specific).
allow the customer to select which fields they see and default queries.
with the default queries, you can shrink the find windows.

have a wrap format for output that fit the screen width they are using.

Hans Bakker sent the following on 9/20/2011 1:37 AM: