Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephanie Trentham <st...@alltel.net> on 2006/12/28 16:54:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Domain Names in Apache

Hi,

I have apache installed on Windows and working correctly. After exploring
the installation and FAQ I am left with one question. I have a domain name
and currently using web server services for this domain name through
godaddy.com. I intend to drop these services and run it on my own server.
The domain is merely a personal test and learn thing and not truly important
that it is running at 100% so I am comfortable running it through my own
server. However, I would like to know how to configure apache to host this
domain for me before I stop services at godaddy just so I know that I can do
this. Hitting http:localhost:8080 works for me (had to change ports, 80 is
apparently assigned to another service) but how do I know where to point the
domain name and is that all I will need to do in order to serve the domain?
(ex. Nameserver1, nameserver2) I don't know what the nameservers would be or
how to figure this out and I don't know where to put this info in apache in
order to configure it for the domain.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie Trentham

RE: [users@httpd] Domain Names in Apache

Posted by Troy Moseley <tr...@lambpackaging.com>.
>I have apache installed on Windows and working correctly. After
>exploring the installation and FAQ I am left with one question. I
>have a domain name and currently using web server services for this
>domain name through godaddy.com. I intend to drop these services and
>run it on my own server. The domain is merely a personal test and
>learn thing and not truly important that it is running at 100% so I
>am comfortable running it through my own server. However, I would
>like to know how to configure apache to host this domain for me
>before I stop services at godaddy just so I know that I can do this.
>Hitting http:localhost:8080 works for me (had to change ports, 80 is
>apparently assigned to another service) but how do I know where to
>point the domain name and is that all I will need to do in order to
>serve the domain? (ex. Nameserver1, nameserver2) I don't know what
>the nameservers would be or how to figure this out and I don't know
>where to put this info in apache in order to configure it for the
domain.

You can use a DNS service like easyDNS.com if you don't have a pair of
static IP addresses (I believe it will take 2 static IPs to run your own
nameservers). Of course it cost a little more. Also you might call
godaddy and ask if it is possible to route your domain to your single
static IP address, I think they offer that option as an advance option.
There might be additional charges there too...

Good Luck...

Re: [users@httpd] Domain Names in Apache

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 07:54 AM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
>I have apache installed on Windows and working correctly. After
>exploring the installation and FAQ I am left with one question. I
>have a domain name and currently using web server services for this
>domain name through godaddy.com. I intend to drop these services and
>run it on my own server. The domain is merely a personal test and
>learn thing and not truly important that it is running at 100% so I
>am comfortable running it through my own server. However, I would
>like to know how to configure apache to host this domain for me
>before I stop services at godaddy just so I know that I can do this.
>Hitting http:localhost:8080 works for me (had to change ports, 80 is
>apparently assigned to another service) but how do I know where to
>point the domain name and is that all I will need to do in order to
>serve the domain? (ex. Nameserver1, nameserver2) I don't know what
>the nameservers would be or how to figure this out and I don't know
>where to put this info in apache in order to configure it for the domain.

Apache cannot do that. You need some sort of DNS Server on your Windows box.

If you are on a dynamic IP, this won't work.

Your best bet also is to figure out what is using port 80 and disable
it - do you REALLY want peple to have to go to www.yourdomain.com:8080 ?

[users@httpd] Re: Domain Names in Apache

Posted by sn...@cob.org.
Hi Stephanie,

I don't believe Apache will provide you with the DNS services required to
resolve your domain name to your computer.  If you have Apache installed on
a Windows server version (NT,2000,2003) then you may be able to configure
Windows to provide you with the DNS services which will allow people to
type in your domain and have your website show up.  Here's a KB from
Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172953

Hope this helps.
____________________________
Steven

             "Stephanie
             Trentham"
             <strentham2@allte                                          To
             l.net>                    <us...@httpd.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             12/28/2006 07:54
                                       [users@httpd] Domain Names in
                                       Apache
             Please respond to
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

[...]

Stephanie TrenthamNo virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.