Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/10 11:03:56 UTC

[mailets] packages for new libraries?

the packaging for the new mailet products is the same as in JAMES.
probably worth thinking about whether we take this opportunity to
repackage.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [mailets] packages for new libraries?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> Do you mean the class packages  (org.apache.mailet) ?
>>
>> class packages
>>
>> org.apache.james.transport.*
>>
>> - robert
>
> If you plan to also use the resulting library in a future v2.4.x release
> maybe we should also consider the backward compatibility.

backward compatibility for packages is a two edged sword :-)

repacking would allow users to easier try the new versions in older
server versions but would introducing upgrading issues once the
originals are deleted

> At config.xml level it would be a "minor" issue because it will only require
> importing the new package name (we mostly suggest the use of the classname
> without the package in the matcher/mailets configuration), but this will
> break config.xml for people upgrading.
>
> To keep 100% backward compatibility we should otherwise create a backward
> compatibility kit that will show "old" mailets (simple extensions without
> any change) in the previous package, too.

+1

> I think the priority is backward compatibility: so if the "hack" above is
> acceptable for a 2.x branch then we could even repackage.

IMHO the whole class scanning thing seems like a bit of hack to me but
i'll probably open another thread for this...

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> the packaging for the new mailet products is the same as in JAMES.
>>> probably worth thinking about whether we take this opportunity to
>>> repackage.
>>>
>>> opinions?
>> Do you mean the class packages  (org.apache.mailet) ?
>
> class packages
>
> org.apache.james.transport.*
>
> - robert

If you plan to also use the resulting library in a future v2.4.x release
maybe we should also consider the backward compatibility.

At config.xml level it would be a "minor" issue because it will only
require importing the new package name (we mostly suggest the use of the
classname without the package in the matcher/mailets configuration), but
this will break config.xml for people upgrading.

To keep 100% backward compatibility we should otherwise create a
backward compatibility kit that will show "old" mailets (simple
extensions without any change) in the previous package, too.

I think the priority is backward compatibility: so if the "hack" above
is acceptable for a 2.x branch then we could even repackage.

Stefano

Re: [mailets] packages for new libraries?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> the packaging for the new mailet products is the same as in JAMES.
> probably worth thinking about whether we take this opportunity to
> repackage.
>
> opinions?

Do you mean the class packages  (org.apache.mailet) ?
Or the packages we release and distribute?

Stefano