Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/06/21 19:57:17 UTC

Re: LSSerializer declaring unneeded xmlns:xml

Hi Chad,

Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz> wrote on 06/21/2010 10:18:58 AM:

> Let me preface this by saying that to my understanding Xerces-J and
> Xalan-J now share a common LSSerializer implementations and that this
> implementation is held and maintained by Xalan.

That's correct.

> If that's not true let
> me know and I'll got bug the Xerces people instead. :)
>
> The LSSerializer implementation is emitting unnecessary xmlns:xml
> declarations.  We have run in to cases where code receiving XML with
> such declarations break.  Clearly this is a problem with their code, but
> I have no power over them to make them fix it.

If you're in dire straits you could always use Xerces' deprecated
LSSerializer instead. It will be picked up automatically by Xerces if you
remove serializer.jar from your classpath. Alternatively you could
instantiate the old serializer directly: Class.forName("
org.apache.xml.serialize.DOMSerializerImpl").newInstance() and cast that to
an LSSerializer.

> Since the xmlns:xml decl is unnecessary would it be possible to add a
> config options, like
> 'http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#parameter-namespaces',
> that would make the LSSerializer not emit the xml namespace delc?
>
> I also see an issue discussing this was submitted some time ago:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2409
>
> --
> Chad La Joie
> http://itumi.biz
> trusted identities, delivered

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: LSSerializer declaring unneeded xmlns:xml

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.
Okay, thanks again Michael.

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.
Okay, thanks again Michael.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Chad,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Chad,

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.
Thanks Michael,

I don't consider it dire yet, though the people with the broken code
might.  :)  I'll give your suggestion a shot and see what happens.
Would be nice to have an optional switch though.  So hopefully it'll get
added.

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@itumi.biz>.
Thanks Michael,