Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by VA...@LILLY.COM on 2001/08/22 14:59:16 UTC

suppressing white space in jsps

Is there any way to suppress the whitespace that is output by jsp's in
Tomcat/Catalina?  I have a simple jsp that generates a .csv, and sets the
HTTP headers so that it opens in Excel (intranet app).  Even with cramming
all the jsp intro stuff on one line, I still end up with one blank line as
the first line of output.  (actually, one newline code).  I know that
jasper must be converting every newline in the source .jsp to something
like println("\n") in the servlet --- that's what I'd like to turn off
(selectively)

Is this possible?

-jason

Re: suppressing white space in jsps

Posted by David Cassidy <dc...@hotgen.com>.
Would you like to let us see the jsp - we might spot something...

David

Posted by Matt Hudson <ma...@spaceship.com>.

Posted by Johannes Lehtinen <jl...@cc.hut.fi>.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 VASQUEZ_JASON@LILLY.COM wrote:

> Is there any way to suppress the whitespace that is output by jsp's in
> Tomcat/Catalina?  I have a simple jsp that generates a .csv, and sets the
> HTTP headers so that it opens in Excel (intranet app).  Even with cramming
> all the jsp intro stuff on one line, I still end up with one blank line as
> the first line of output.  (actually, one newline code).

I have been using two approaches when producing output formats where extra
newlines are not allowed.

Either I leave them inside tags like...

  <%@ whatever...
  %><%@ whatever..
  %>Here goes the first line of output

...or using comments like...

  <%@ whatever... %><%--
  --%><%@ whatever... %><%--
  --%>Here goest the first line of output

I have to admit this is not very elegant so I would be happy to know of
any cleaner alternatives.

--
Johannes Lehtinen <jo...@iki.fi>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/

Re: suppressing white space in jsps

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 VASQUEZ_JASON@LILLY.COM wrote:

> Is there any way to suppress the whitespace that is output by jsp's in
> Tomcat/Catalina?  I have a simple jsp that generates a .csv, and sets the
> HTTP headers so that it opens in Excel (intranet app).  Even with cramming
> all the jsp intro stuff on one line, I still end up with one blank line as
> the first line of output.  (actually, one newline code).  I know that
> jasper must be converting every newline in the source .jsp to something
> like println("\n") in the servlet --- that's what I'd like to turn off
> (selectively)
>
> Is this possible?

Not directly.  However, you could write a Filter (using this new feature
of the Servlet 2.3 APIs to do it after the fact).

Or, if you used a servlet instead of a JSP page to create the output, you
would have complete and total control over the formatting.

> -jason

Craig