Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2015/06/17 18:10:51 UTC

Ok to remove and change return types on methods in a public/unstable testing utility class in hbase-2.0.0?

I am looking at changes to a HBaseTestingUtility base class over in the
nice cleanup issue HBASE-13893.  HTU is a pretty popular testing tool.

I'm thinking that is is not OK removing methods and changing param and
return types even though its across a major version (and even though it
marked unstable) because we should spare the user pain where we can.

On other hand, we are purging HTable references, old crud, the preservation
of which is useless and will make for a mountain of work.

Opinions?

St.Ack

Re: Ok to remove and change return types on methods in a public/unstable testing utility class in hbase-2.0.0?

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Such a move would be well timed for a major release as it will relocate the
class into a different jar.

I'm +1 for turning HBaseTestingUtility into a public, supported,
maintainable utility. If that requires API overhaul, so be it. It's
probably not worth doing an HBaseTestingUtility2.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Ok to remove and change return types on methods in a public/unstable testing utility class in hbase-2.0.0?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy