Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jon Dossey <JD...@deltahealthgroup.com> on 2004/12/08 23:43:48 UTC

spamd dns problems

As per Matthew Romanek's (shandower@gmail.com) recommendations, I
re-pointed my resolver to a different nameserver (from resolving
locally), and can successfully scan a message in a little under 2.5
seconds (2.3 - 2.4 seconds).

I already upgraded to perl 5.8.5 and Net::DNS 0.48, which didn't resolve
the problem.

Does anyone have any idea why it fails when attempting to resolve off
the local nameserver?  The resolver works perfectly otherwise.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
.jon

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from all computers."

Re: spamd dns problems

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 5:01:32 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 2:43:48 PM, Jon Dossey wrote:

>> As per Matthew Romanek's (shandower@gmail.com) recommendations, I
>> re-pointed my resolver to a different nameserver (from resolving
>> locally), and can successfully scan a message in a little under 2.5
>> seconds (2.3 - 2.4 seconds).

>> I already upgraded to perl 5.8.5 and Net::DNS 0.48, which didn't resolve
>> the problem.

>> Does anyone have any idea why it fails when attempting to resolve off
>> the local nameserver?  The resolver works perfectly otherwise.

> This is strange.  I remember there was some talk by the
> developers of doing something to bypass Net::DNS or do
> resolution separately.  Perhaps did some code for this
> spill over into the production releases?  Or perhaps is
> there some code for *preventing* this stopping normal
> resolution when the local resolver serves up on 127.0.0.1?

> This may deserve a bugzilla.........

If it helps, I think all the reports have been from FreeBSD
platforms.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: spamd dns problems

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Re: spamd dns problems

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Re: spamd dns problems

Posted by Jay Plesset <ja...@dp-design.com>.
Does your local server also do reverse lookups?

Re: spamd dns problems

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.