Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Campbell, Lance" <la...@illinois.edu> on 2020/08/03 18:56:42 UTC

Tomcat 9 Catalina Logging issue

Apache Tomcat Version 9.0.37

I just upgraded to this version.  When I start tomcat sometimes it generates a “logs/catalina.out” file and other times it does not.  What is going on? Is anyone else having this issue?

I always get a catalina.2020-08-03.log .  However, it is lacking all of my startup info that is in the catalina.out file.

Any help on identifying this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

LANCE CAMPBELL<https://directory.illinois.edu/person/lance>
Software Architect

Web Services<https://webtools.illinois.edu/>
Public Affairs<https://publicaffairs.illinois.edu/>
Contact the Webtools Team<https://go.illinois.edu/contactUs>
217.333.0382
lance@illinois.edu<ma...@illinois.edu>

[/var/folders/wp/1f6l7hw95y718z976kgnl5f9kr5rtc/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/signature_logo.png]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

Re: Tomcat 9 Catalina Logging issue

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Operating system?

Are you sure the previous Tomcat process has fully shutdown?

It is a bit of a guess, but something like the following might explain
things if you are on a non-Windows platform:

- start Tomcat
- stop Tomcat
- delete log files
- start Tomcat

If the first "stop Tomcat" hasn't completed by the time you call the
second "start Tomcat", that might explain what you are seeing.

Mark