Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/30 17:05:44 UTC

Test dependencies for OSGi bundles

Hi,

By loading the Tuscany modules into Eclipse as plugin projects (OSGi
bundles), we now use the PDE classpath container to set up the project
classpath. There is an issue related to the test dependencies used by test
cases. The MANIFEST.MF generated by maven-bundle-plugin doesn't have any
Import-Package headers for the packages used by test cases and Eclipse fails
to resolve the dependencies.

I searched Google and could find good solutions to this. I propose that we
add optional Import-Package headers for the packages referenced by the test
cases. Here is what we can do:

1) Tweak the maven-bundle-plugin to generate optional Import-Package for
test cases.
    - I managed to get the plugin working.

2) Check the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files into svn. To enforce the constraints
for OSGi bundles, these files should be really authored and maintained by
developers.
    - We'll check in the generated files as a starting point.

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: Test dependencies for OSGi bundles

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> By loading the Tuscany modules into Eclipse as plugin projects (OSGi
> bundles), we now use the PDE classpath container to set up the project
> classpath. There is an issue related to the test dependencies used by test
> cases. The MANIFEST.MF generated by maven-bundle-plugin doesn't have any
> Import-Package headers for the packages used by test cases and Eclipse fails
> to resolve the dependencies.
>
> I searched Google and could find good solutions to this. I propose that we
> add optional Import-Package headers for the packages referenced by the test
> cases. Here is what we can do:
>
> 1) Tweak the maven-bundle-plugin to generate optional Import-Package for
> test cases.
>   - I managed to get the plugin working.
>
> 2) Check the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files into svn. To enforce the constraints
> for OSGi bundles, these files should be really authored and maintained by
> developers.
>   - We'll check in the generated files as a starting point.

Totally agree, and taking the same line ou thought, I had started
adding the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF to the source tree and updating the
pom to stop generating them, but I guess i should wait for the pom
modification until you are done with your changes to generate the
optional Import-Package for test cases. So I'll just commit my changes
to get the manifest.mf in for now.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk