Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/08/11 20:07:35 UTC

REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***

The page has been sitting waiting for content:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2006

Reports are due every month folks.  I should not have to constantly nag you
to get them in.

	--- Noel

Re: REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Reports are due every month folks.  I should not have to constantly nag you
> to get them in.

Nag?  No.  Remind -once-?  Is that so unreasonable when every other PMC gets
an automated reminder?

Re: REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
I added the following to the Incubator wiki:

======
Tuscany is focusing on community building. In the last quarter we
have released, with the Incubator PMC's permission, milestone
versions of both the Java and C++ runtimes and have used those to
attract developers to the community. Since the last report we have
voted in four new committers, Raymond Feng, Brent Daniel, Kelvin
Goodson and Meeraj Kunnumpurath and have other people actively
contributing. However, the majority of committers are still employed
by one company and additional effort is being made to attract
independent developers.

There has been a significant change in the OSOA specification effort
with the availability of a [http://www.osoa.org public website]
intended to provide additional transparency. We have confirmation
that specification work is done under an agreement that explicitly
states that such work is not confidential.

Plan for the next quarter is to diversify the community. We do not
believe there are any issues that require the attention of the board.
======

The status files in SVN and on the incubator site have been updated.

If I've missed anything please jump in.
--
Jeremy

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
I'll add some C++ content. Will you add the nominations of new committers
etc.?
Cheers,

On 11/08/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> This means us.
>
> I can pull together the Java/SCA side - can someone please add
> information on the C++ side.
>
> The report covers the last 3 months.
>
> --
> Jeremy
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>
> > Date: August 11, 2006 11:07:35 AM PDT
> > To: <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
> > Subject: REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***
> >
> > The page has been sitting waiting for content:
> >
> >   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2006
> >
> > Reports are due every month folks.  I should not have to constantly
> > nag you
> > to get them in.
> >
> >       --- Noel

Pete

Fwd: REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
This means us.

Re: Automating Report Reminders (and the Project Index)

Posted by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> david reid wrote:
>
>> Where is the information you maintain presently?
>
> The site is built from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/, and the specific
> stuff that you'd be looking for is in multiple locations:
>
>   Projects (one file per):
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/proj
> ects/
>
>   Project menu for web pages:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/styl
> esheets/project.xml
>
> Perhaps the latter could be populated from the former.

Right. Basically you have an xdocs file per project in a central
location. I'd guess that moving to a DOAP + extensions RDF file would
allow the files to be used directly by projects.a.o.

> We used to use a different meta-data format, but everything was converted to
> anakia.  The key issue is that people want to be able to just do:

I have XDOCS2 in development, which is essentially a replacement for
anakia, but allows the use of XSL instead of XML. This means we can
generate pages that are generated from accumulated content in a more
straightforward manner. The downside is that it's Perl and requires some
libraries (that are conatined within the repository). It also allows for
better, more automated navigation style links to be created shown.

However, that's all for the future. I'll try and look at mapping what's
in the xdocs files you have to DOAP + extensions as a simple first step.

It'll go into my TODO list tonight.

david

RE: Automating Report Reminders (and the Project Index)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
David Reid asked:

/

> Is there any good reason why this is one huge file? It seems to make far
> more sense as smaller files which then are "linked" to get to the
> behemoth that exists today.

Which one huge file?  We have many files.  Or do you mean that you want to
go from one per project to several per project?  Please elaborate on your
thoughts.

Posted by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> david reid wrote:
>
>> Where is the information you maintain presently?
>
> The site is built from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/, and the specific
> stuff that you'd be looking for is in multiple locations:
>
>   Projects (one file per):
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/proj
> ects/

Had a quick look on the way here (Atlanta) and one immeadiate question
springs forth...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
david reid wrote:

> Where is the information you maintain presently?

The site is built from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/, and the specific
stuff that you'd be looking for is in multiple locations:

  Projects (one file per):
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/proj
ects/

  Project menu for web pages:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/styl
esheets/project.xml

Perhaps the latter could be populated from the former.

We used to use a different meta-data format, but everything was converted to
anakia.  The key issue is that people want to be able to just do:

  svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk site
  cd site
  ./build.sh

and have it work.

We also have IP Clearance docs, although I'd put integrating that at a lower
priority than managing meta-data for the projects.

> Now that projects.a.o has had a chance to settle it might be appropriate
> to review whether or not we index incubator projects.

It probably does make sense to index them, with appropriate branding.  There
are a lot of JSRs and other specifications whose implementations are going
through the Incubator, plus it would be helpful to see where the ASF has
multiple implementations (and users) of the same specification.

Posted by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> david reid wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> it would be nice if we could pull this meta-data together into one
>>> place
>>> Any volunteers to help straighten this out, and help make things more
>>> automated and maintainable?
>> How about using doap and the projects stuff for your index page? It
>> could be possible to do some more adventurous things if there is a
>> desire to follow that path.
>
> I'm game to hear more.  Would you care to elaborate on your thoughts?  And
> have you looked at the type of information we maintain for each project?
> How much would you propose putting into the doap stuff?

Where is the information you maintain presently? I'll have a look.

Now that projects.a.o has had a chance to settle it might be appropriate
to review whether or not we index incubator projects.

I'll start by looking at the data you currently maintain though :-)

david

RE: Automating Report Reminders (and the Project Index)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 11 Aug 06, at 2:07 PM 11 Aug 06, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> The page has been sitting waiting for content:
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2006
>
> Reports are due every month folks.  I should not have to constantly
> nag you
> to get them in.

How about we hook up to the little notification system used for
reminding people to send in board reports?

Jason.

> 	--- Noel

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Adding projects to report scheduel? [was Re: REMINDER: AUGUST REPORTS ARE ***DUE***]

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
I just took the liberty of adding CeltiXfire to the
Jan/April/July/October schedule. I don't think there is policy for this
so I just went and did it :-) Let me know if this wasn't appropriate,
but otherwise we will just plan on reporting then.
- Dan

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>The page has been sitting waiting for content:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2006
>
>Reports are due every month folks.  I should not have to constantly nag you
>to get them in.
>
>	--- Noel

Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053