Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/07/30 12:15:45 UTC

Policy file resolving strategy

Hi Lenya developers,

I made a mistake when setting up the algorithm that maps URLs to
policy files. Currently, the policy file is located at:

Policy: /foo/bar_en.html/subtree-policy.acml

This is obviously wrong, because

/foo/bar/baz_en.html

won't inherit this policy as it is supposed to.

For CMS documents, we could use the document-id (I can't say how
difficult it is to implement this at the moment).
But what about other URLs, e.g. the admin area?

1) Use different access control algorithms for these areas.

2) At least for the admin area, we could think about seeing it
    as a tree of documents, like authoring and live. This could cause
    problems with multilingual publications.

3) ... ?

What do you think?

Andreas

Re: Policy file resolving strategy

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> I made a mistake when setting up the algorithm that maps URLs to
> policy files. Currently, the policy file is located at:

[...]

> For CMS documents, we could use the document-id (I can't say how
> difficult it is to implement this at the moment).
> But what about other URLs, e.g. the admin area?

3) A clean and general approach would be not to use the URL steps
between the slashes to obtain the policy files:

     / foo / bar / baz_en.html

but the single letters:

     / f o o / b a r / b a z _ e n . h t m l

This means, a policy file located at
     /foo/bar/baz/subtree-policy.acml
would be found and inherited.

Of course, this is quite slow, but with policy caching it could
be a convinient solution.

Andreas