Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ruel Loehr <ru...@jboss.com> on 2006/08/30 22:33:26 UTC

Integration Testing

I'd like to query the community and see how you guys are handling
integration testing in real world environments.

I've looked through the list and the Better builds book, but didn't like what I saw......

Here is the use case:

Use Case A:

A user has a project which builds a war.   For integration testing the war needs to be deployed in an app server.
The process will be to startup the app server, deploy the war, run unit tests, stop the app server.

Here is the gotcha.

App servers can have many configurations.   In this case, we would like to test the functionality of this war on three different app server configurations. Use case A would need to be executed 3 times automatically, each time with a different server configuration.

Assuming I already know how to modify the appserver configs, any suggestions on how the repeated execution of this use could be achived in scalable fashion (e.g. if I have 25 server configurations my build file won't be a nightmare to maintain).

In ant, it's pretty simple as I can just string together targets until my heart is content.  With maven, I feel I am imprisoned by the lifecycle in this case.

Ruel Loehr
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
QA