Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/11 06:42:12 UTC

Product URI and product catalogs. Get product from different catalogs?

Hi,

How do we get full product links, to get products from different catalogs.
For eg. a link to a product in a catalog, other than the first catalog,
returns a product not found error.

http://www.mysite.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=10090/~product_id=8178085739

I guess the catalogworker.java file is used to call products. It only works
if the catalog ID is included in the URI,

http://www.mysite.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=10090/~product_id=8178085739/~CURRENT_CATALOG_ID=MARKETPLACE

In the catalogworker.java it is mentioned as:

 /**
     * Retrieves the current prodCatalogId.  First it will attempt to find
it from a special
     * request parameter or session attribute named CURRENT_CATALOG_ID.
Failing that, it will
     * get the first catalog from the database as specified in
getCatalogIdsAvailable().
     * If this behavior is undesired, give the user a selectable list of
catalogs.
     */

I am not sure if this logic is correct. Should it not get catalod ID for the
product instead of getting the first catalod ID from the database. I am not
aware if there are any other reasons for doing this.

But this also causes the link in the last products viewed box to break, when
a browser views product from different catalogs.

Any suggestions on can we get this fixed.

Rohit
Sent from the OFBiz - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Product URI and product catalogs. Get product from different catalog

Posted by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,

You got me right to a certian extent. i will try to be more clear by giving
you an example.

I have a catalog each for Jewelry and Silverware. The display requirement
for each of this is different and
 i use to different catalogs for each of them since the display requirements
for each of them is very different. For eg. i also use different screens,
stylesheet, buttons for each catalog. Each product is found in one catalog
only. They are not available across catalogs.

The problem arises when i want to create ads for my products. The link to
products in different catagories only work when the catalog_id is included
in the URL, else the first catalog is called which may not have the product
and hence returns a product not found error.

Including the catalogID in the URI solves the first problem of finding the
product, but the stylesheets, etc for the particular catalog which has the
product is not loaded. Beacuse of the way the catalogworker.java file works,
the cookie is set up with the first catalog ID and not with the catalog
which actaully has the product.

I was able to able to achieve this by editing the catalogworker.java, as
below. i have added the lines

       if (prodCatalogId != null) {
        session.setAttribute("CURRENT_CATALOG_ID", prodCatalogId);
        }

in the section

    /**
     * Retrieves the current prodCatalogId.  First it will attempt to find
it from a

special
     * request parameter or session attribute named CURRENT_CATALOG_ID.
Failing that,

it will
     * get the first catalog from the database as specified in
getCatalogIdsAvailable

().
     * If this behavior is undesired, give the user a selectable list of
catalogs.
     */
    public static String getCurrentCatalogId(ServletRequest request) {
        HttpSession session = ((HttpServletRequest) request).getSession();
        Map requestParameters =
UtilHttp.getParameterMap((HttpServletRequest)

request);
        String prodCatalogId = null;
        boolean fromSession = false;

        // first see if a new catalog was specified as a parameter
        prodCatalogId = (String)
requestParameters.get("CURRENT_CATALOG_ID");

       if (prodCatalogId != null) {
        session.setAttribute("CURRENT_CATALOG_ID", prodCatalogId);
        }

which creates the cookie with the CatalogID passed by the URI. By doing this
the customer stays in that catalog and the customization etc. for that
catalog is used.

I hope that Chis and other commitors can look into this and suggest whether
it is the best way to achieve this..

Rohit

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Product URI and product catalogs. Get product from different catalogs?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.