Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Theseus Leandros <rd...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/06 20:08:34 UTC

OpenWire producers not showing up in Artemis web console

Hello there,

I've been trying to move from ActiveMQ classic to Artemis.

The example I've been using to test comes with the ActiveMQ 5.17.3 package
under
apache-activemq-5.17.3/examples/openwire/advanced-scenarios/jms-example-queue
(I would link it, but I'm not where it is in the code). Specifically, the
Producer.java file. I've been using this example to connect to a local
Artemis 2.27.1 instance (to test the backwards compatibility of OpenWire
ActiveMQ JMS 5.x clients with Artemis).

Basically, once I set a breakpoint after creating the producer, the
producer does not show up in the Artemis console UI under "Producers" at
any level (under the queue, address, or overall).

However, when I add in a dependency to artemis-jms-client 2.27.1 and swap
out the connection factory to be
"org.apache.activemq.artemis.jms.client.ActiveMQConnectionFactory" (and
make no other changes to that file), the producer does show up in the UI,
which makes me think this is an OpenWire-specific issue.

Some things to note:
- Using Java 17
- The producer is producing as normal. It's just not showing up in the UI.
- The consumers, both OpenWire and Core, show up in the UI as normal.
- The sessions, both OpenWire and Core, show up in the UI as normal.

I have not been able to recreate a scenario in which an OpenWire producer *does
*show up in the management UI, so I'm wondering if this is intended
behaviour or not?

Thanks

Re: OpenWire producers not showing up in Artemis web console

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
Try the latest 2.28.0 release. There was some work done in this area via
ARTEMIS-3875 [1]. I just tested this with the OpenWire "queue" example
shipped with Artemis in the "examples/protocols/openwire/queue" directory.
The web console displayed the producer as expected.

For what it's worth, tracking producers is not as straight-forward as it
might first appear since many protocols employ anonymous producers who can
send messages to any address at any time and don't send any kind of "open"
or "close" information. On the contrary it is very easy to track consumers
since they registered directly on a queue.

Justin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-3875