Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Harp <mh...@seapine.com> on 2004/07/30 18:08:14 UTC

Issues when trying to login with svn

Complete newbe here trying to do some integration into Subversion.

I setup my server and am running svnserve on a Windows box.

I have two main questions.

1. When I have anon-access set to read, I can execute a call like

	svn -ls --username fred --password blah

Where the info I give for login is bad, but I never get an error from
svn client. It just returns the results of the ls call? Shouldn't it be
failing since my login was bad?

2. How can I stop svn from prompting on a bad login attempt? I set
anon-access to none and now when I give a bad user/pwd I get prompted
for both username and password. It would seem there should be a flag to
tell svn to just fail with an error message w/o having to prompt. The
specific problem I have is that from a Windows app, I'm executing these
calls in a cmd window and know of no way to tell my app to respond to a
cmd prompt. Am I missing a flag, or is this not possible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

matt

Re: Issues when trying to login with svn

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 13:08, Matt Harp wrote:
> Complete newbe here trying to do some integration into Subversion.
>
> I setup my server and am running svnserve on a Windows box.
>
> I have two main questions.
>
> 1. When I have anon-access set to read, I can execute a call like
>
> 	svn -ls --username fred --password blah
>
> Where the info I give for login is bad, but I never get an error from
> svn client. It just returns the results of the ls call? Shouldn't it be
> failing since my login was bad?

SVN isn't like CVS:  the client doesn't "push" authentication to the
server;  rather, the server "pulls" it from the client only when it
deems necessary.

The --username/--password argument are *only* used if the server
challenges the client in the first place.  Otherwise they're ignored.

> 2. How can I stop svn from prompting on a bad login attempt? I set
> anon-access to none and now when I give a bad user/pwd I get prompted
> for both username and password. It would seem there should be a flag to
> tell svn to just fail with an error message w/o having to prompt.

Again, you're trying to do something anonymously, so the server sends a
challenge, because anonymous access isn't allowed.  That causes the
client to prompt you.  After 3 failed prompting attempts, the client
gives up, and the whole operation fails.  It's all working exactly as it
should -- just the way a web browser does.