Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Wadia, Yohan" <yw...@virtela.net> on 2014/11/28 05:41:17 UTC

Place Volume Snapshots on a different Secondary Storage

Hi,

I have a Cloudstack 4.2 setup running in my Lab.. 1 Zone with 1 XenServer 6.1 host and 1 Secondary Storage (NFS)..
The space on this secondary storage is approx 60 GB..
I am planning to add a second Secondary Storage to the Zone (NFS : 200 GB) and want to dedicate this new Sec Store as the default place to store the volume snapshots of my instances..
Can this be configured in any way via Cloudstack's Global Settings or via Cloudstack APIs??

Regards,
Yohan

Re: Place Volume Snapshots on a different Secondary Storage

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Andrija is spot on here nd in addition once a snapshot chain has started using a particular sec storage all snapshots linked to that VM volume will always use the same sec storage.

New snapshots will randomly select a sec storage and I believe the available capacity is not taken into account - it's truly random

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<htp://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@cloudstackguru<https://twitter.com/#!/cloudstackguru>

ShapeBlue Ltd, 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4HS<x-apple-data-detectors://5>

On 28 Nov 2014, at 07:57, Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Yohan,

if I'm not mistaken, you can not do that this way. The way secondary
storage works when you have more than 1 secondary storage NFS - is that l
PUBLIC stuff (ISOs, TEMPLATES that are defined as not private) - are
replicated across ALL secondary storage NFS servers. Private stuff (that is
not defined as public) - so private ISOs, private TEMPLATES, and of course
snapshots, are randomly distributed across all secondary storage NFS
servers...

Hope this clears things.

Cheers

--

Andrija Pani?

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: Place Volume Snapshots on a different Secondary Storage

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Suggest that is a question for the Dev List

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by "Wadia, Yohan" <yw...@virtela.net>.
Thanks for the info Geoff...

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Place Volume Snapshots on a different Secondary Storage

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yohan,

--

Andrija Panić