Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Phillip Farber <pf...@umich.edu> on 2009/09/25 14:20:26 UTC

OOM error during merge - index still ok?

Can I expect the index to be left in a usable state ofter an out of
memory error during a merge or it it most likely to be corrupt?  I'd
really hate to have to start this index build again from square one.
Thanks.

Thanks,

Phil

---
Exception in thread "http-8080-Processor2505"
Exception in thread "RMI TCP Connection(131)-141.213.128.155"
Exception in thread
"ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]"
Exception in thread "http-8080-Processor2537"
Exception in thread "http-8080-Processor2483" Exception in thread "RMI
Scheduler(0)" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #202"
org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException:
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:351)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:315)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #266"
org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an OutOfMemoryError;
cannot merge
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:351)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:315)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an
OutOfMemoryError; cannot merge
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter._mergeInit(IndexWriter.java:4529)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeInit(IndexWriter.java:4512)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:4424)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:235)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:291)
WARN: The method class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLogFactory#release() was invoked.
WARN: Please see http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#release for an explanation.

Re: OOM error during merge - index still ok?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Phillip Farber <pf...@umich.edu> wrote:
>  Can I expect the index to be left in a usable state ofter an out of memory
> error during a merge or it it most likely to be corrupt?

It should be in the state it was after the last successful commit.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com