Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2013/03/19 03:23:24 UTC

Re: all podlings please update and maintain project metadata

Please maintain your incubation metadata. This then enables
other volunteers to have information at their fingertips to
assist them to assist others. There are also some automated
processes that utilise this metadata, as also happens when
you become a Top-Level Project (TLP).

Please see previous email below.

-David

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 09:34:24 +0200:
> David Crossley wrote on Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 17:52:26 +1100:
> > Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> > Ah, maybe we have identified the breakdown. Perhaps they skip
> > the Incubator documentation.
> >
> > I reckon that we need to link in both directions.
> >

> Agreed: linking from #requesting-podling to the incubator.a.o page
> documenting the overall process from the podling's POV would make sense.
> Go for it :)

The point applies to both #requesting-podling and #requesting-graduation.

Re: all podlings please update and maintain project metadata

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Shane Curcuru wrote:
> >>
> >> Separately, I'd love to hear any comments about how this kind of
> >> requirement is expressed in the graduation guides.  I.e. is it clear,
> >> even to normal humans (i.e. 99.99% of the world who are not Incubator
> >> experts) that these things are required of TLPs before (and after)
> >> graduation?
> >
> > FWIW, https://www.apache.org/dev/infra-contact#requesting-graduation
> > seems to be read and followed by most graduating projects.

Ah, maybe we have identified the breakdown. Perhaps they skip
the Incubator documentation.

I reckon that we need to link in both directions.

> Guess we need to give this a little love:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#project-first-steps
> and point to the new docs (which are fantastic btw)

Yes.

We already do point to the infra docs.

-David

Re: all podlings please update and maintain project metadata

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: all podlings please update and maintain project metadata

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Similarly, it is a *requirement* that TLPs keep their DOAP files and
other aspects of their project websites updated.  So it's a really good
thing for podlings to get in this habit before graduation.

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Separately, I'd love to hear any comments about how this kind of
requirement is expressed in the graduation guides.  I.e. is it clear,
even to normal humans (i.e. 99.99% of the world who are not Incubator
experts) that these things are required of TLPs before (and after)
graduation?

- Shane