Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2016/03/05 15:33:40 UTC

[DEVTOOLS] Groovy Integration Road Map

Hi All,
Apologies for the long post...

Recently I have be proposing, calling votes and implementing various
pieces of things related to Java UNO like adding the AOO Java UNO jars
and the bootstrap-connector jar to Maven, etc, without really explaining
what I'm working toward.

The goal is to be able to use the Apache Groovy language for Add-Ons,
Add-Ins, Client applications and Macros.

The bootstrap-connector that has a current VOTE open is the piece that
allows a single Groovy script to bootstrap the office without being
compiled with all the special classloader code like a typical Java
Client application.

After this is released I will bring forward the Groovy UNO Extension [1]
for a vote to release via Maven.
This isn't an AOO extension but what Groovy calls an extension because
it allows you to extend existing API's.
The Java UNO API's in this case.
It is what makes it possible to write much less code when using Groovy
vs Java.
The bootstrap-connector is need by this to allow the functional test
scripts to bootstrap the office.

The final piece of this is being able to use Groovy as a macro language
within AOO.
There was a previous OO.o extension to add Groovy as a macro language
but I don't think it is updated.

I plan on creating a new AOO Extension for this after the Groovy UNO
Extension is available through Maven.
We can later discuss if this should be included in AOO or available
separately.

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Groovy_UNO_Extension

Thanks,
Carl