Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by frm <fr...@gordijn.org> on 2022/11/07 11:04:32 UTC

Karaf Minho

Hi,

I've looked at the githib repo (https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf5) at
Minho.
It looks very interesting to me, as I want to host multiple Spring Boot
applications into one container.

A few questions:
- I read there is an example of two Spring Boot applications that can run
into Minho, but I can not find the example. Can you tell me where the
example is?
- Does Minho support dynamic loading of Spring Boot application?

Best,

-- Jaap Gordijn

Re: Karaf Minho

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Jaap,

We are working on the examples (we are planning several examples,
including multi spring boot apps in minho, I'm working on minho k8s
controller example, etc).
We are working on it.

Right now, the loading approach is static (at bootstrap), but if we
have user request to support dynamic loading, why not. Feel free to
create a GitHub issue once you test it.

Regards
JB

Re: Karaf Minho

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Oh by the way, Minho moved to Apache Karaf umbrella now:
https://github.com/apache/karaf-minho

RE: Karaf Minho

Posted by Jaap Gordijn <fr...@gordijn.org>.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your anser.
For us, it is interesting to understand of Minho supports ddynamic
It supports Spring Boto we currently use.

I think we can narrow down our choice whether to follow the Minho path (with
Spring Boot and dynamic (un)loading) or to start all over in Karaf/OSGI.

Best,

-- Jaap

Re: Karaf Minho

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jaap-

RE: Karaf Minho

Posted by Maurice Betzel <m....@gaston-schul.com>.
- Spring Cloud: usually small balls of mud interacting, no crash barriers build in for designing a clean modular and loosely coupled architecture
- Apache Karaf: OSGi providing the crash barriers to guide developers in making the right choices creating modules by separation of concerns and communicating over a central OSGi service registry, needs more than average knowledge of the Java classpath, module dependencies and SOLID in general
-Apache Karaf Minho: what I know sofar, by default a single classpath and no OSGi livecycle (which could limit dynamic loading of new code?), service propagation done by the Java 6 default service provider mechanism

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhqgPXoJXCk

Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,
Maurice Betzel
Principal Software Engineer
Gaston Schul Group
Department ICT

 CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Gaston Schul. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

No one who can help me here?

Essentially, to build a dynamic frontend/backend plugin system we have to decide to go for:
- Spring Cloud (large community, but needs many processes / JVMs to build it , so it seems not very efficient
- Apache Karaf (efficient system as there needs only to be one JVM, but
complex)
- Minho, which seems to be able to dynamically (un)load Spring Boot modules)

Best,

-- Jaap

Al onze verrichtingen geschieden op basis van de Algemene voorwaarden der Expediteurs van België, gepubliceerd in de bijlage tot het Belgisch Staatsblad dd. 24 juni 2005 onder nr. 0090237. De tekst van deze voorwaarden wordt op uw verzoek gratis toegezonden.
All our transactions are subject to the General Conditions of the Belgian Forwarders Association which have been published under nr. 0090237 in the "Bijlage tot het Belgisch Staatsblad" dated June 24th, 2005, and is available free of charge upon request.
Toutes nos opérations se font sur base des Conditions Générales des Expéditeurs de Belgique. Le texte en a été publié dans l' Annexe au Moniteur Belge du 24 juin 2005 sous le n° 0090237. Ce texte sera vous envoyé gratuitment sur demande.
Email confidentiality notice:
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended only for the use of the recipient. If you have received this email in error please notify its sender.

Re: Karaf Minho

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

We need to go a little deeper with springboot, we have already noted
this point here:

https://github.com/apache/karaf-minho/issues/7

regards,

Francois