Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/04 20:31:46 UTC

Avro

I've heard that Avro provides a good way of dealing with changing schemas.
I am not sure how it could be done without keeping some kind of structure
along with the data. Are there any good examples and documentation that I
can look at?

Re: Avro

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Nitin Kesarwani <bu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Mohit,
>
> You can use this patch to suit your need:
>
> New fields in Avro schema descriptor file need to have a non-null default
> value. Hence, using the new schema file, you should be able to read older
> data as well. Try it out. It is very straight forward.
>
> Hope this helps!

Thanks! I am new to Avro what's the best place to see some examples of how
Avro deals with schema changes? I am trying to find some examples.

Re: Avro

Posted by Nitin Kesarwani <bu...@gmail.com>.
Mohit,

You can use this patch to suit your need:

New fields in Avro schema descriptor file need to have a non-null default
value. Hence, using the new schema file, you should be able to read older
data as well. Try it out. It is very straight forward.

Hope this helps!

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've heard that Avro provides a good way of dealing with changing schemas.
> I am not sure how it could be done without keeping some kind of structure
> along with the data. Are there any good examples and documentation that I
> can look at?

-N