Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Sullivan, Sean C - MLG" <Su...@menlolog.com> on 2002/09/04 19:17:24 UTC

Struts advantages, Struts alternatives

My employer needs to decide if we should choose Struts
as the standard Web/MVC framework for our company.

Jakarta Struts
==============

 http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/

Struts advantages:
==================

1) large user base
2) momentum
3) mindshare
4) has an active development team
5) is a Jakarta project
6) good documentation

Alternatives to Struts:
=======================

Barracuda

http://barracuda.enhydra.org/

article:  Barracuda versus other frameworks
http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/docs/landscape.html

WebWork

http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=15137

http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/

Tea (from Disney / Starwave )

http://opensource.go.com/

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/wa-tea1.html

Other resources:
================

Jason Hunter's article: "The Problems with JSP"

 http://www.servlets.com/soapbox/problems-jsp.html

Wafer project

 http://www.waferproject.org/

Re: Quick questions re: multiple sub-apps

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
um ... let me clarify those paths ...

... you can have, say:
/webapp
/webapp/admin

But can you also have, for example:
/webapp
/webapp/admin
/webapp/admin/basics
/webapp/admin/advanced
etc.?

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
Due to recent hard to see mapping problems in mystruts-config.xml, it seems I should start makinguse of the multiple sub-apps in 1.1 as part ofconverting from 1.02.Question: are you limited to one level deep on thesub-app?  I know from looking around that you canhave, say:/webapp/webapp/adminBut can you also have, for example:/webapp/webapp/admin/webapp/admin/basics/webapp/admin/advancedetc.?

---------------------------------
Yahoo! - We Remember

Re: Struts advantages, Struts alternatives

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'd say you've listed the major players here. Under 6) for Struts you
might add that even more documentation is coming. There will be several
books coming out this fall, and others are still being written.

I've been wondering about a good way to compare frameworks. Something
that occurred to me recently would be to look at how they approach
various use cases.

http://husted.com/struts/usecases.html

-Ted.

Sullivan, Sean C - MLG wrote:

> My employer needs to decide if we should choose Struts
> as the standard Web/MVC framework for our company.
>
> Jakarta Struts
> ==============
>
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/
>
> Struts advantages:
> ==================
>
> 1) large user base
> 2) momentum
> 3) mindshare
> 4) has an active development team
> 5) is a Jakarta project
> 6) good documentation
>

> Alternatives to Struts:
> =======================
>

> Barracuda
>
> http://barracuda.enhydra.org/
>

> article:  Barracuda versus other frameworks
> http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/docs/landscape.html
>

> WebWork
>
> http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=15137
>
> http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/
>

> Tea (from Disney / Starwave )
>
> http://opensource.go.com/
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/wa-tea1.html
>

> Other resources:
>
> Jason Hunter's article: "The Problems with JSP"
>
>  http://www.servlets.com/soapbox/problems-jsp.html
>
> Wafer project
>
>  http://www.waferproject.org/

Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
co-author, Java Web Development with Struts
Order it today:
<http://husted.com/struts/book.html>