Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> on 2012/05/08 07:24:15 UTC

Branch missing for 1.6

Hi,

I'm unable to locate a branch for 1.6 tip under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/branches/. Can this please be
published remotely? Or have we decided to stop maintaining branches
and cut new releases off of trunk with tags alone?

The tags on http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/ appear perfect,
and am currently relying on tags/release-1.6.3 for my 1.6 tip
reference.

Harsh J

Re: Branch missing for 1.6

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@apache.org>.
We branch lazily.

If this is work locally and you do not need to commit, then the 1.6.3 tag
is the correct location.

Once a committer needs a branch in order to commit a change that that does
not overlap with trunk, we create the branch.  In this case, if you need
to commit a patch that follows 1.6.3 and trunk is not the appropriate
place, we can create a 1.6.x branch off of tag 1.6.3 to collect changes in
preparation for a possible 1.6.4 release.  Another option is that trunk
becomes 1.6.4, but only if it does not contain incompatible API changes
from 1.6.3 (which I believe it now does).

-Scott