Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Victor Samoylov <vs...@griddynamics.com> on 2008/09/02 17:10:13 UTC

HDFS space utilization

Hi,

I ran 3 data-nodes as HDFS and saw that at the beginning (no files in HDFS)
I have only 15 GB instead 22 GB, see following live status of my nodes:

*10 files and directories, 0 blocks = 10 total. Heap Size is 5.21 MB /
992.31 MB (0%)
*   Capacity : 22.64 GB DFS Remaining : 15.42 GB DFS Used : 72 KB DFS
Used%:0 % Live
Nodes <http://192.168.18.83:50070/dfshealth.jsp#LiveNodes> : 3 Dead
Nodes<http://192.168.18.83:50070/dfshealth.jsp#DeadNodes>
: 0

------------------------------
 Live Datanodes : 3

  Node Last Contact Admin State Size (GB) Used (%) Used (%) Remaining
(GB) Blocks
192.168.18.114<http://192.168.18.114:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?namenodeInfoPort=50070&dir=%2F>0In
Service7.550
5.770 192.168.18.83<http://192.168.18.83:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?namenodeInfoPort=50070&dir=%2F>0In
Service7.550
5.850 192.168.18.85<http://192.168.18.85:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?namenodeInfoPort=50070&dir=%2F>2In
Service7.550
3.80

Could you explain me why such difference in capacity exists?

Thanks,
Victor Samoylov

Re: HDFS space utilization

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Is there anything else on the partition DFS data directory is located?
IOW, what does 'df -k' show when you run it under 'dfs.data.dir'?

Raghu.