Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by karthik Ofbiz <ka...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/20 12:11:55 UTC

Regarding Transactions

Hi all,

We are using Ofbiz for running our web sites. Now a days we are seeing few
problems with the transactions happening in the system.

Whenever any service is called, and if it's execution is failed because of
any database exceptions then the transaction is not completely rolling
back.The database exception I am seeing in "Transaction Timed out
Exception".

As a result we are not having complete data in the system

Any one Help me in this issue.

Thanks in advance and eagerly waiting for the reply.....

Regards,
Karthik Ramini.

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Kumaraswamy:

Thanks for the link info. I guess what I'm saying is why would an ECA
effect a previous database write and then read (a transaction) that
appeared to be committed? I thought that a delegator.store operation
wrote a record to the database and a delegator.findAll where the cache
flag was set to false, read from the database. Are you saying that
perhaps this is not the case when there is a service with an ECA defined
is called inline with my other code?

TIA
Ruth

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Kumaraswamy nandipati <ku...@ecomzera.com>.
Hi Ruth,

http://ofbiz.apache.org/docs/services.html#ECAs

ECA definition replicates what I mean.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> wrote:

> Hi Kumaraswamy:
> I'm not sure I understand your comment.  Would you mind elaborating?
> Regards,
> Ruth
>

> Kumaraswamy nandipati wrote:
>
>> Hi Ruth,
>>
>> I am suspecting that ECAs doing this. For ECAs we can define before/after
>> Transaction commit/rollback(Its just my suspect only. But I didn't try for
>> this).
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Karthik:
>>> I was just getting ready to write a similar email to the list. I've
>>> noticed
>>> this also - but only in the 9.4x releases. In my case some of the
>>> database
>>> writes are committed and "stick" while some do not. Here's my situation:
>>>
>>> I have a custom application with 5 separate database writes
>>> (delegator.store or delegator.create) operations followed by an service
>>> call
>>> to one of the sendMail services and then a call to another
>>> delegator.store
>>> operation. If the sendMail fails, several of my 5 separate database
>>> writes
>>> are not committed. Further, if I do a read of the database
>>> (delegator.findOne) after one of the writes that are not committed, I get
>>> record returned with my data (I can see this by writing a debug
>>> statement.)
>>> So, I wonder what is going on? Do I need to actually force each of these
>>> writes to the physical data source through some other action aside from
>>> the
>>> delegator.store? I tried writing each database write in a separate
>>> try/catch
>>> as I though that was the default transaction boundary. Then I put each
>>> database write in a separate service and made a service call to each
>>> write -
>>> hoping that the service engine would somehow force the transaction to
>>> commit. But nothing works. In each case I get the same results: some data
>>> is
>>> written and then I get the "Transaction Timed Out" error.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bad thing about this
>>> situation is that it does write some of the data to the database but not
>>> all
>>> of it. So I have "widowed and orphaned" data.
>>>
>>> Any Entity Engine experts out there with some advice?
>>> Regards,
>>> Ruth

Kumaraswamy.N
91-9866805250.

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Kumaraswamy:

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Kumaraswamy nandipati <ku...@ecomzera.com>.
Hi Ruth,

I am suspecting that ECAs doing this. For ECAs we can define before/after
Transaction commit/rollback(Its just my suspect only. But I didn't try for
this).

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> wrote:

> Hi Karthik:
> I was just getting ready to write a similar email to the list. I've noticed
> this also - but only in the 9.4x releases. In my case some of the database
> writes are committed and "stick" while some do not. Here's my situation:
>
> I have a custom application with 5 separate database writes
> (delegator.store or delegator.create) operations followed by an service call
> to one of the sendMail services and then a call to another delegator.store
> operation. If the sendMail fails, several of my 5 separate database writes
> are not committed. Further, if I do a read of the database
> (delegator.findOne) after one of the writes that are not committed, I get a
> record returned with my data (I can see this by writing a debug statement.)
> So, I wonder what is going on? Do I need to actually force each of these
> writes to the physical data source through some other action aside from the
> delegator.store? I tried writing each database write in a separate try/catch
> as I though that was the default transaction boundary. Then I put each
> database write in a separate service and made a service call to each write -
> hoping that the service engine would somehow force the transaction to
> commit. But nothing works. In each case I get the same results: some data is
> written and then I get the "Transaction Timed Out" error.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bad thing about this
> situation is that it does write some of the data to the database but not all
> of it. So I have "widowed and orphaned" data.
>
> Any Entity Engine experts out there with some advice?
> Regards,
> Ruth
>

> karthik Ofbiz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are using Ofbiz for running our web sites. Now a days we are seeing few
>> problems with the transactions happening in the system.
>>
>> Whenever any service is called, and if it's execution is failed because of
>> any database exceptions then the transaction is not completely rolling
>> back.The database exception I am seeing in "Transaction Timed out
>> Exception".
>>
>> As a result we are not having complete data in the system
>>
>> Any one Help me in this issue.
>>
>> Thanks in advance and eagerly waiting for the reply.....
>>
>> Regards,
>> Karthik Ramini.

Kumaraswamy.N
91-9866805250.

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Typically the idea with transactions is that you have one or more
groups of operations that need to succeed or fail all together. With
OFBiz the easiest way to do this is to have each group of operations
represented by a service (that may or may not call sub-services) and
then setup your transaction settings on the services however is
needed, such as using the require-new-transaction attribute to suspend/
resume any existing transaction to allow the operations to commit or
rollback independent of the other transaction.

If you want every single call to the entity engine to run separately,
you could try to set use-transaction attributes to false, but if
anything with a transaction calls your service there may still be a
transaction in place and that would mess things up. It's better to
explicitly demarcate things.

-David

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Regarding Transactions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Karthik:
I was just getting ready to write a similar email to the list. I've
noticed this also - but only in the 9.4x releases. In my case some of
the database writes are committed and "stick" while some do not. Here's
my situation:

I have a custom application with 5 separate database writes
(delegator.store or delegator.create) operations followed by an service
call to one of the sendMail services and then a call to another
delegator.store operation. If the sendMail fails, several of my 5
separate database writes are not committed. Further, if I do a read of
the database (delegator.findOne) after one of the writes that are not
committed, I get a record returned with my data (I can see this by