Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/05 23:12:21 UTC

Re: [MERGE][ACS41] javelin to master

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> While 1/31 is code-freeze, it doesn't mean dev stops writing unit tests to test out their code or new code to fix problems when qa find bugs.  Without javelin in, it will mean they need to write once in today's home-grown component framework and unit testing and again in Springs when merge to master.  I think given it's low risk, I don't see any reason why people want to duplicate that work.  Why not just have it in 4.1 to begin with?
>
> --Alex

Alex,

How about unit tests for the Javelin code itself?  Were any created?
Are there any that can be created?

While the merge is already complete, this seems like a great time for
the new structure to have unit tests built into it.

-chip

Re: [MERGE][ACS41] javelin to master

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 08:37:44AM -0800, Alex Huang wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for answering Alex!

-chip

RE: [MERGE][ACS41] javelin to master

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 02:23:27PM -0800, Alex Huang wrote:
> > Alex,
> >
> > How about unit tests for the Javelin code itself?  Were any created?
> > Are there any that can be created?
> >
> > While the merge is already complete, this seems like a great time for
> > the new structure to have unit tests built into it.
> >

> There were no unit tests for the Spring DI and AOP given that Spring is an established entity.

So there were no new classes introduced?  If so, I guess that makes
sense.  But if there were, then I'd disagree with not adding tests.  I'm
not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

> There were unit tests and integration tests written for the storage refactor portion using the Spring DI and AOP infrastructure.  I'll let Edison speak to what those are.

That's great to hear!

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Edison,

You should enable the integration test suites.  It shouldn't run in the normal mvn install but people should be able to run it with a different profile.

The goal of the integration has to be testing DataStoreProvider implementation without cloudstack at all.  That's how you can know the DataStoreProvider implementation is completely decoupled from CloudStack.  After doing this test, the DataStoreProvider implementer should have some assurance that CloudStack will run (even if it is in a deprecated form if there are bugs) with that implementation added to the plugins.

--Alex

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.