Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2015/05/05 18:42:36 UTC

survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

I'm considering investigating gradle, but have discovered that it's not
even available for debian wheezy(nor in backports).  So, I currently
interested in what other people have available for installation.

In jessie, the version of gradle is 1.5.

Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

Posted by Richard Siddall <ri...@elirion.net>.
FWIW, gradle is in Chocolatey
(https://chocolatey.org/packages?q=gradle), as is groovy
(https://chocolatey.org/packages?q=groovy), but neither is in NuGet.

	Richard.

Posted by Richard Siddall <ri...@elirion.net>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On May 6, 2015, at 5:34 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:

> At the top directory of your unpacked source, you need to run the command:
>    gradle
> This sets up the Gradle wrapper and from then on you just need the `gradlew` command instead of `gradle`.
> ==========================

again from Groovy readme:

=====================
To build everything using Gradle:
    gradlew clean dist
Note: The gradlew command automatically downloads the correct Gradle version if needed, you do not need to download it first.
=====================

Jacopo

Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

On 05/06/2015 12:10 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> On May 6, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> wrote:
>
>> That's bad too.
> By the way, Adam, you're as bitter as an old spinster today! :-)

Just express issues we've had interacting with clients.  It's all about
placing blame.  If I have to download source and compile myself, I have
to take on that mantle.  However, if the OS has done it, I can shift the
target away from me.

But "placing blame" sounds bad.  So, let's rephrase.

Random upstream pre-compiling source, may not fully understand the
policies required by $chosen_OS at $company.  So, use the version of
$upstream already available for $chosen_OS.  This is called using a
support contract.

I thought this was just a simple question when I asked it initially. :(

Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

On 05/06/2015 10:34 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> On May 6, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> wrote:

>>> The Groovy project has some scripts for this:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/gradlew
>> To restate, the reason I don't want maven, gradle, or ant embedded into ofbiz, is that there has been, um, issues, when it comes to using eclipse, and other tools, that *also* embed ant.
>>
>> On this same vein, we don't embed the approved version of the jdk into ofbiz either.
>>
>> With maven, gradle, and ivy, and more modern systems, the target has been to move away from embedding dependencies.  It's even a best practice from ASF, as it then reduces the load on mirrors.  So, take it to the logical conclusion, and don't embed the build system either.
> Groovy doesn't embed gradle, this is the reason I was pointing you to that example.
>
> Here are the notes from Groovy:
>
> ==========================
> At the top directory of your unpacked source, you need to run the command:
>      gradle
> This sets up the Gradle wrapper and from then on you just need the `gradlew` command instead of `gradle`.
> ==========================

That's bad too.  So when the embedded script/docs in the checkout become
invalid, due to the external location having been changed(aka, a project
has to move away from codehaus, because they are out of money), then all
previous versions that have already shipped will no longer work.

These kind of docs should be listed separate along side the actual
download/checkout process.

Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On May 6, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2015 09:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> On May 6, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Gradle has to be installed before building ofbiz, so you couldn't use gradle to install gradle.  And I'd prefer not to embed it directly.
>> The Groovy project has some scripts for this:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/gradlew
>
> To restate, the reason I don't want maven, gradle, or ant embedded into ofbiz, is that there has been, um, issues, when it comes to using eclipse, and other tools, that *also* embed ant.
>
> On this same vein, we don't embed the approved version of the jdk into ofbiz either.
>
> With maven, gradle, and ivy, and more modern systems, the target has been to move away from embedding dependencies.  It's even a best practice from ASF, as it then reduces the load on mirrors.  So, take it to the logical conclusion, and don't embed the build system either.

Groovy doesn't embed gradle, this is the reason I was pointing you to that example.

Here are the notes from Groovy:

==========================
At the top directory of your unpacked source, you need to run the command:
    gradle
This sets up the Gradle wrapper and from then on you just need the `gradlew` command instead of `gradle`.
==========================

I hope it helps,

Jacopo

Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
apt-get install gradle
yum install gradle
emerge gradle

Let's assume downloading random things that haven't been vetted against
one's OS of choice is frowned upon by the powers that be at a particular
company.  It's a matter of not having to understand each and every
single downloadable software package, and assuming that the OS developer
can integrate it more properly.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Richard Siddall <ri...@elirion.net>.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-dev/201505.mbox/browser