Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Mahurkar, Anup" <am...@tigr.org> on 2003/05/08 15:54:24 UTC

Cross-language logging possibilities with log4j

Currently we are working on developing a workflow system written in java
that calls custom applications/classes to process each node of a DAG
(directed acyclic graph). These applications could be written in any
language, in our shop we use java and perl. It would be great if all the
individual applications could log to the same log destination.

My thought was to write a SOAP appender or some other such XML based
web-service appender on the client side and use the java socket server
appender to do the actual logging on the server side. This way java clients
can continue using object serialization/extrenalization, but other language
clients go through the slower web service layer.

I was wondering if anyone in this group had other ideas for adding such
cross-language logging capability to log4x family?

As we need such a capability for in-house use, if doable, we could dedicate
some resources to such an endeavor.

Thanks,
Anup Mahurkar