Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/13 06:24:25 UTC

Breakdown of downloaded tapestry-core versions from 2011

Thought this might be interesting to Tapestry users in general but
especially to Tapestry add-on (plugins, components, modules,
extensions) developers. Here are the percentages of all downloads of
tapestry-core from Maven central over last year (2011):

5.3.1	0.90%
5.3	2.70%
5.3.0	4.04%
5.2.6	12.67%
5.2.5	19.93%
5.2.4	22.01%
5.2.2	2.48%
5.2.1	0.53%
5.2.0	1.23%
5.1.0.5	19.44%
5.1.0.4	0.55%
5.1.0.3	0.40%
5.1.0.2	0.27%
5.1.0.1	0.29%
5.1.0.0	0.34%
5.0.19	0.52%
5.0.18	1.92%
5.0.17	0.28%
5.0.16	0.40%
5.0.15	0.84%
5.0.14	0.67%
5.0.13	0.67%
5.0.12	0.40%
5.0.11	0.74%
5.0.10	0.51%
5.0.9	0.46%
5.0.7	0.68%
5.0.6	0.60%
5.0.5	0.80%
5.0.4	0.40%
5.0.3	0.50%
5.0.2	1.34%
5.0.1	0.50%

Note that these are just central download stats, so it's difficult to
make any conclusions about this, because Maven-originated artifacts
are heavily cached (company proxies, user caches etc.). Also note that
the percentages don't tell you much about the popularity or market
share of the given version. You typically download the artifact only
once on a given machine. Anyway, here's my quick initial thoughts:
- most of the new development is (at least) on 5.2.x
- most projects update version of Tapestry eagerly
- 5.3 enjoys great success so far (considering the final was available
only 5 weeks before the end of the year)
- most 5.0.x projects have probably either upgraded to newer versions
are or in maintenance mode, so very little reason to maintain 5.0.x
compatibility anymore

Kalle

Re: Breakdown of downloaded tapestry-core versions from 2011

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 03:24:25 -0200, Kalle Korhonen
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thought this might be interesting to Tapestry users in general but
> especially to Tapestry add-on (plugins, components, modules,
> extensions) developers. Here are the percentages of all downloads of
> tapestry-core from Maven central over last year (2011):
>
> 5.3.1	0.90%
> 5.3	2.70%
> 5.2.4	22.01%
> 5.1.0.5	19.44%

> - most of the new development is (at least) on 5.2.x
> - most projects update version of Tapestry eagerly

This is also a proof that the Tapestry 5 backward compatibility promise is
not just a promise, but a reality. specially considering how many
companies are reluctant in upgrading versions. :)

> - 5.3 enjoys great success so far (considering the final was available
> only 5 weeks before the end of the year)
> - most 5.0.x projects have probably either upgraded to newer versions
> are or in maintenance mode, so very little reason to maintain 5.0.x
> compatibility anymore

All 5.0 versions are alphas or betas, so the backward compatibility
promise doesn't apply here.

Thanks for the stats and insights, Kalle!

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor