Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ciaran Hanley <ci...@sentenial.ie> on 2004/01/09 17:44:17 UTC

Problem displaying ActionMessages in JSP

Hello
Can anybody help me? I am trying to display messages on my JSP based on
whether an insertion to the DB was successful or not.

Properties file:

dbsuccess.add = Database Success: Details Added
dberror.add = Database Error: Unable To Add Details At This Time

Action Class:

/* create ActionErrors instance to hold success/failure messages */
ActionMessages messages = new ActionMessages();

try
{
......business logic

      messages.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, new
ActionMessage("dbsuccess.add"));
setSession(messages, request);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
      messages.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, new
ActionMessage("dberror.add""));
setSession(messages, request);
}

private void setSession(ActionMessages messages, HttpServletRequest
request)
{
      /* put the messages in the session */
      request.getSession().getServletContext().setAttribute("messages",
messages);
}

JSP file:

<logic:messagesPresent message="true">
      <LI>
        <bean:write name="messages" />
      </LI>
  </UL></font><hr>
</logic:messagesPresent>

Nothing is being printed at the top of the page, the insertion into the
database works fine but I cant get the success message up. Does anybody
know why this is happening?

Thanks,
Ciaran

RE: Problem displaying ActionMessages in JSP

Posted by Ciaran Hanley <ci...@sentenial.ie>.
I already had the message="true" part in the JSP code.
I changed the id and name value to "message" as you said but I get the
same result, just the <hr> is produced

Ciaran

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.