Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Raghuveer <ra...@infotechsw.com> on 2008/01/02 08:46:21 UTC

RE: How to Stop logging

Hello,
I was thinking to explore for both requirements.
If it is not possible to stop creation of log file, then at least I want to
implement stopping logging related to struts.
So there will be only application related logs.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
So, exactly what problem are you having with "stopping logging"?  This is
exactly what Log4j is designed to do; log by category in a hierarchical
manner.

First, define logging for the root logger.  I usually set this to some
relatively high level, such as WARN, so that extraneous logging performed by
any given library logging debug or info statements is squashed.  However, I
still want to see problems when they appear.  WARN fits the bill.

Next, if you want more logging from a particular hierarchy, define that and
lower logging level as desired.  Because you are only lowering the level for
your defined hierarchy, you won't get extraneous logging from libraries other
than those matching your hierarchy (conventionally named by package).

This is all very basic stuff.  If you haven't yet read up on Log4j, please do
so before posting questions here.  We're happy to help, but you should
understand the basics before posting.  If you do understand the basics and
have posed a more nuanced question than I have given it credit for, please
accept my apologies and explain in more detail what you are driving at.

Jake