Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net> on 2005/04/05 07:37:47 UTC

Re: Problems with spamassassin, milter-spamc, milter-sender and procmail

At 04:17 PM 4/4/2005, michael@kpmcornerstone.com wrote:

>Well, I thought I had everything working just wonderfully ... all that
>nasty spam was being dropped into the bit
>bucket as I wanted.  However, now I don't seem to be passing things
>through procmail such that they get dumped.
>I am really puzzled -- I believe this may have started when I upgraded
>spamassassin to v.2.6.3.  Currently, I am using
>ClamAV, Spamassassin 2.63, procmail and milter-sender and
>milter-spamc.  Here are some of the pertinent details:

You forgot to mention MailScanner.

However, if nothing else, ditch milter-spamc immediately.

You need to make sure you call spamassassin ONCE per message. You're
currently calling it at least twice. Once from milter-spamc AND once again
by calling spamc in procmailrc.  If MailScanner is using SpamAssassin, then
you've got it called three times!

Ouch! That hurts in performance. To add insult to injury, re-scanning the
messages might reduce your hit rate, as I explain below.

If milter-spamc sees the message as spam and you don't have "report_safe 0"
set, it's going to encapsulate the spam in a new message with new headers
and tag the subject.

Later when procmail passes the encapsulated message to spamc, it no longer
looks like spam because of the new headers. None of the original Received:
headers will be scanned for RBLs, as those are in the encapsulated message.
Thus, to the second call to spamc, this message originated at localhost,
instead of evilserver.spammer.com.

Poof. X-Spam-Status gets over-written with No.

That's probably your problem.