Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2019/05/20 16:52:26 UTC

Re: [OT] Massive Startup Time after Server Reboot

Markus,

On 5/18/19 17:39, info@flyingfischer.ch wrote:
> apt-get install haveged update-rc.d haveged defaults
>
> This increases the system entropy for random generation and reduces
> boot time for Tomcat considerably.

I'm a -1 on this solution because it takes a reliable source of
entropy and converts it into an unreliable source of entropy. There is
a reason that *NIX* systems usually have both /dev/random (a good,
secure source of randomness) and /dev/urandom (a *fast* source of
randomness which is reasonably good).

When there are reasons to use /dev/random -- such as generating a new
long-lived encryption key like PGP, RSA, ECC, etc. -- it's important
that these kinds of "artificial" sources of randomness aren't used.
That's why we don't use /dev/urandom for those purposes.

But haveged basically turns /dev/random into /dev/urandom and
therefore programs have no choice.

It's better to leave hadeged out of the mix and choose the right
source of randomness for your application.

- -chris