Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/03 23:13:31 UTC

NoResult - write response in the Action

I have a situation where I want to fully handle the result in the Action
including writing the response to the HttpServletResponse.

What's the best way to handle this so there is no further results processing
after the execute() method ends?

Is there a way to disable results processing from within the action's
execute() method?
Or, should I write a "NoResult" Result that does nothing?

I know I could write a custom Result and move all the logic from the action
to the custom result but it would be a PITA and make this situation much
more complex then it needs to be. I would have to split the logic in the
action in an artificial way and expose a bunch of internal variables just so
they could be passed to the Result and then I would have to duplicate logic
that is already available in the action super classes, etc in the result.

RE: Radio button issue with list, map, collection, localisation and action class.

Posted by Qunhuan Mei <qm...@qm18.wanadoo.co.uk>.
My understanding was wrong - thought it has to be "List". Also did not think
about LinkedHashMap.

Tried also <Integer, String> and working fine. Guess <Boolean, String>
should also work.

Cheers!

Posted by Samuel Robert <sa...@gmail.com>.
At least with String keys, it works fine:

Code in your action:
private Map<String, String> myMap = new LinkedHashMap<String, String>();
..
    }

Posted by Samuel Robert <sa...@gmail.com>.
This should also work:

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: NoResult - write response in the Action

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Admins...  I don't seem to be able to edit
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/result-configuration.html is there a
problem with the wiki (or is it just down for maintenance)?

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.
Siddiq Syed wrote:
> What will be the view in this case ?

This is a special return value reserved primarily for actions that
generate their own output directly, and used to indicate that the
framework should not dispatch to any view (as the view has already been
sent to the requester).

-Dale

Re: NoResult - write response in the Action

Posted by Brian Thompson <el...@gmail.com>.
If I understand correctly, the response will just be sent directly to the
client without going through jsp processing.

-Brian

Posted by Siddiq Syed <si...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca>.

Posted by Brian Thompson <el...@gmail.com>.
Yes. See:

http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/api/com/opensymphony/xwork/ActionSupport.html
http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/api/com/opensymphony/xwork/Action.html#NONE

-Brian

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks that did the trick.

Doubleselect tag doubleEmptyOption

Posted by Jipu Jiang <j....@nesc.gla.ac.uk>.
Dear all,

Did anyone used the doubleEmptyOption parameter of the doubleselect tag
in struts2? I have used it to create an empty option for the second
select box. However no empty option is added. In addition, the
doubleHeaderKey and doubleHeaderValue parameters are also seems has no
effect at all. I checked the doubleselect.vm file, and I haven't found
anything regarding the above three parameters. So are these not
implemented? Or I just configured wrong. I am using Struts 2.1.8.

Many thanks for any reply in advance,
Nathan

Re: NoResult - write response in the Action

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.
Greg Lindholm wrote:
> Looking at the code it appears that (null) and "none" are treated the same
> and both cause results processing to be skipped.

Thanks!

and the annotated view:
http://svn.opensymphony.com/fisheye/browse/xwork/trunk/src/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/DefaultActionInvocation.java?r=1851
shows that it's been that way for a long time.

-Dale

Re: NoResult - write response in the Action

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.
Looking at the code it appears that (null) and "none" are treated the same
and both cause results processing to be skipped.

Look for createResult() and executeResult() in DefaultActionInvocation:

http://svn.opensymphony.com/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=1851/xwork/trunk/src/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/DefaultActionInvocation.java

Posted by DNewfield <Da...@Newfield.org>.

Haroon Rafique wrote:

> On Today at 5:13pm, GL=>Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> GL> I have a situation where I want to fully handle the result in the
> Action
> GL> including writing the response to the HttpServletResponse.
>
> return ActionSupport.NONE?

I believe I have places where I return "null" (the value, not the string) to

Posted by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca>.