Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Halil Karakose <ha...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/07 00:27:46 UTC

cometd in tapestry 5

Hi,
I found that tacos supports cometd for  tapestry 4. What about tapestry 5?
Does tapestry support cometd?

thanks

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by françois facon <fr...@gmail.com>.
During Devoxx 2010 Atmopshere was mention a least in 3 conference.
Paul Sandoz plan to use it for http streaming in jax-rs.
There is some implementation  for Web FWK like JSF and
Wicket<http://jfarcand.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/writing-websocket-application-using-apache-wicket/>
.

Le 7 novembre 2010 11:31, françois facon <fr...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Atmosphere looks very fine.
> I guess that Atmosphere Meteor could be use to
 easily
add
asynchronous

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by françois facon <fr...@gmail.com>.
Atmosphere looks very fine.

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by françois facon <fr...@gmail.com>.
Dojo seem's to provide an API that looks like WebSocket, and fallback to
other techniques if WebSocket isn’t available.
http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2010/10/31/dojo-websocket/

If you want to provided a real bi directionnal data channel between your
server and your client,
you will need a gateway that can manage protocoles like
-cometd,
-flash (rtmpt protocole),
- ajax long polling
- websocket

Kaazing provided this kind of gateway and they say (
http://tech.kaazing.com/documentation/faq.html#bayeux

"Most Comet implementations rely on the Bayeux protocol, which requires
messages from the origin to be transformed to conform to the Bayeux
protocol. This transformation introduces unnecessary complexity in your
system, requiring developers to manipulate one message format on the server
(for example, JMS, IMAP, and XMPP) and a second message format (for example,
Bayeux or JSON) on the client. Bayeux also introduces an unnecessary
performance overhead to your system by forcing a message to be interpreted
and processed prior to being sent over the wire. With WebSocket, the message
sent by the server is the same message that is delivered to the browser,
eliminating the complexity and performance concerns introduced by
transformation code."

We use the same approach for our gateway. We also feel like WebSocket will
replace cometD even if we don't know IE9 status about WebSocket.

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by Alessio Gambi <ag...@gmail.com>.

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by "Robert R. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.

Re: cometd in tapestry 5

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn
how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com