Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by PN...@directsourcing.com on 2000/07/25 17:34:50 UTC

What if the God went wrong

This is regarding the my earlier mails about build fails! Thanks Arved and
Fotis for helping me out. Finally I have been able to build FOP.

The reason for earlier build fails was nothing to do with the classpaths,
but apparently something wrong somewhere in JDK 1.3(the one I was using
earlier). I use JBuilder for my work on Java. The one I have installs
jdk1.2.2 by default. I thought lemme give it a shot with JDK1.2.2 and guess
what fop compiled perfectly.

Many of my colleagues have also experienced some strange behavior with
JDK1.3 e.g. if one uses add method of Vector class javac wud reply
NoSuchMethodException while the same thing works for addElement method. Even
the parseDouble of the Double wrapper class gives this problem.

Comments?

Pankaj Narula
502-326-4426 (Office)

Re: What if the God went wrong

Posted by Hani Elabed <ha...@elabed.net>.
Greeting Mr. PN,

We have had similar problems with JDK 1.3 too.(read below)

While I can't prove it yet( it is a low priority for us), we
found out that the JDK 1.3 with the HotSpot (server) is
a little bit "flacky".  We have observed blocking
in trying to open connections, read input streams, etc..
mainly with the Url and UrlConnection classes.

While this is not related to FOP, it did affect our
internal (loadbalancing/redirection) code here at the
Supreme Court of Wisconsin... So, we reverted back
to JDK 1.2.2 with SYMJIT....

just my  2 centimes.. and Vote of NON-Confidence for  JDK 1.3.

Also, I am really sorry, for not contributing to FOP, I was pulled
of the Printing Component for the past 2 months, to clean up and
enhance our Messaging System, I estimate to be back on Printing
Component on August 3rd.

Hani Elabed
Software Engineer.