Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Eric Schwartz <er...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/07/06 16:38:08 UTC

seed data and demo data

I am writing documentation for ofbiz and i am confused as to actually how
the demo data and seed data is broken up. This is a snippet from the
productions setup guide.

Expert Recommendation: For smaller installations we recommend loading the
demo data and modifying it rather than creating all of the data from
scratch.

For larger installations we recommend creating seed data files with your own
settings, copied from the demo seed data, or simply creating all data from
scratch. These can be added to the "ext" set of install data files, which is
done by referencing those files in an ofbiz-component.xml file
entity-resource tag with the attribute reader-name="ext". To load the "seed"
and "ext" groups run something like:

"java -jar ofbiz.jar -install -readers=seed,ext"

to me this is clear. either modify the exisiting demo and seed data for your
purposes or be brave and create new based on the exisiting files. my
question is why out of the box is some data seed data and some data demo
data. What determines if it should have a reader of demo or seed out of the
box? What would make sense to me is that everything out of the box is demo
and stuff you add should be seed. Please help me understand this.

--
Eric Schwartz
Web Developer/IT Staff

Re: seed data and demo data

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The text in there was poorly written and didn't really use the "seed" term properly. I've changed that and added a definition of seed data.

-David

Re: seed data and demo data

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
Hello Eric,

Seed data would be the one that will not change between installations
and that is needed for ofbiz to work properly like GeoData (countries,
states and the like) units of currency like USD, EUR and the admin user
account (without a user you will not be able to access ofbiz)

Demo data is more concept-free and for demonstration purposes, it
creates customers, suppliers, warehouses, products, etc ...

--
Daniel