Posted to zeta-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> on 2010/12/07 15:12:24 UTC

[zeta-dev] Update: Proposal: Release process

Hi all,

I updated the release process document slightly, incorporating some of
the feedback from this thread.

I think we can summarize for now that

- we want per-component releases as needed
- a PEAR channel to publish per-component releases as needed
- full-package releases twice a year with somewhat fixed dates

So, the release process should basically stay as it was earlier in the
eZ Components project. This is reflected by the release process document
quite well, while the necessary adjustments to conform to ASF rules are
incorporated.

Maybe some of our mentors can review the process to ensure this?

Any further feedback is appreciated. Find the document in SVN and
attached to this mail.

Best regards,
Toby

--
Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14
Want to hire me? Need quality assurance?            http://qafoo.com

Re: [zeta-dev] Update: Proposal: Release process

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Julien,

On 12/10/2010 10:35 AM, Julien Vermillard wrote:

> For me the release process is good.
> I would add a line giving the mailing list were to announce the
> release, like : "announce@apache.org" and other zeta/php related
> websites.

sounds sane, I added a corresponding part. See the attached patch.

Regards,
Toby

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@apache.org>.
Hi,
For me the release process is good.
I would add a line giving the mailing list were to announce the
release, like : "announce@apache.org" and other zeta/php related
websites.
Julien

Posted by Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Henri,

On 12/07/2010 04:21 PM, Henri Bergius wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> wrote:

>> - full-package releases twice a year with somewhat fixed dates

> We discussed this a bit on the IRC, and I proposed following the
> general open source synchronized six month release schedule. This
> typically means Feb/Aug for libraries, Mar/Sep for applications, and
> Apr/Oct for distributions. This helps the downstream in two ways:

yeah, the previous rule we had was "before X-mas" and "before summer
vacation". That does not fit the Feb/Aug rule perfectly, but is close
enough to fit the schedule for other projects. Right?

> * People writing applications that depend on Zeta have a reliable
> schedule they can work with ("I know feature X will be there in
> February 2011"). They also have enough time to update their
> application to use the latest library before distributions ship

This point could become a bit hard, since I don't expect that people
know exactly beforehand, what features will be ready to be released.
However, having these fixed dates is a good incentive for maintainers to
have their stuff ready by time.

> * If we want to have Zeta in distributions, then each
> Ubuntu/Fedora/whatever release will have a fresh Zeta version

> Some related links:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/345353/
> http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard-benefits_of_synchronized_releases/

Sounds neat.

Regards,
Toby

Posted by Henri Bergius <be...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> wrote:
> - full-package releases twice a year with somewhat fixed dates

We discussed this a bit on the IRC, and I proposed following the
general open source synchronized six month release schedule. This
typically means Feb/Aug for libraries, Mar/Sep for applications, and
Apr/Oct for distributions. This helps the downstream in two ways:

* People writing applications that depend on Zeta have a reliable
schedule they can work with ("I know feature X will be there in
February 2011"). They also have enough time to update their
application to use the latest library before distributions ship
* If we want to have Zeta in distributions, then each
Ubuntu/Fedora/whatever release will have a fresh Zeta version

Some related links:
http://lwn.net/Articles/345353/
http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard-benefits_of_synchronized_releases/

> Toby