Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lorenzo Jiménez <lj...@nacion.co.cr> on 2005/04/13 22:12:50 UTC

RE: How can I create a digest password - digest.bat is the key!

Dear Paulo:

Thanks for your comments.

What we want is to have minimum exposure to hacking.

We found out that, in the context.xml, we can specify the users.xml file, and the digest method. So now it is possible to have a different user and password for admin and manager, and in a separate location where hackers -hopelly- cannot get thru.

Also in the net we found that we can generate the MD5 password using digest.bat that is in the tomcat/bin directory. This worked perfectly!

Thanks again,
Regards,

Lorenzo Jimenez

Posted by Daxin Zuo <dz...@techexcel.com>.
Hello, In my application, I need a component, which checks emails. If an
email is the one in responsing my application action, I will process it
(write some record in database).

If you have example for it, please forward me instruction.
Thanks

RES: RES: How can I create a digest password - digest.bat is the key!

Posted by Paulo Alvim <al...@powerlogic.com.br>.
Thank you...

My English is not so good...but what I'd like to say is that if these
"admins and webadmins" guys are editing the configuration files and typing
the passwords as they are...it's easier for an "internal observer racker".
If the pass would be encrypted it would be 'a little' more difficult...

> I didn't think that it would be the only solution...but it would make
> things
> a little more difficult and our customers don't like the idea of to watch
> clean passwords because they don't do it to create Windows Services or
> Oracle users.
>
> We know that these softwares have proprietary databases to store that
> pass -
> but I was wondering what could be done in the Tomcat Open-Source
> context...do you think that the only approach would be to protect the
> folders/files - file system level security? What are you guys doing?

Para: Tomcat Users List

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Paulo,