Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Zexuan Luo <sp...@apache.org> on 2021/12/20 13:12:04 UTC

[Proposal] Drop the support of Tengine

As OpenResty is going to release 1.21.4, it is time to consider
dropping the support of Tengine.

Although Tengine is still maintained (a bugfix is just merged this
month), IMHO there will be some benefits if we can drop the support of
Tengine:
1. The latest Tengine is still based on Nginx 1.18.0, which is
released years ago.
2. The Tengine support of APISIX is contributed by a contributor who
is no longer active. The maintainers don't have much experience to
work with Tengine.
3. Some feature of Tengine, like Dubbo proxy, is already supported in
apisix-base.
4. Some feature of APISIX requires apisix-base, which is not supported
by Tengine.

By dropping the support of Tengine, we can remove extra CI job and
version check, make the code simpler. In the future, we may only
support OpenResty 1.19+.

What about your opinion?

Re: [Proposal] Drop the support of Tengine

Posted by ZhengSong Tu <tz...@gmail.com>.
agreed, I've found very little feedback on Tengine in the communit, it
seems that people don't really need it.

*ZhengSong Tu*
My GitHub: https://github.com/tzssangglass
Apache APISIX: https://github.com/apache/apisix