Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2012/06/06 15:39:25 UTC

[UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Hi,

from what we have experienced so far from the "first phase" of the OOo 3.3
update service it makes sense to me to have the full OOo 3.3 update service
working at the end of this week.

As we would like to direct our users to a localized download page, if possible,
I want to put our attention on the "planned" download pages.
Rob already started a similar thread - namely "Audit of NL home pages" [1], but
I am not sure, if the one or the other already took action.

Please provide feedback regarding to which page the OOo 3.3 update functionality
should direct the user for these languages.

Arabic -> ?

Chinese (simplified) -> ?

Chinese (traditional) -> ?

Czech -> ?

Dutch -> http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html

English (US) -> http://www.openoffice.org/download

French -> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/

Galician -> ?

German -> ?

Hungarian -> ?

Italian -> http://openoffice.org/it/download

Japanese -> http://www.openoffice.org/ja/download/

Portuguese (Brazilian) -> ?

Russian -> http://www.openoffice.org/ru/about-downloads.html

Spanish -> http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/

[1] http://ooo-dev.markmail.org/thread/7ydafrdrqxpctsy3

Thanks in advance for your help, Oliver.

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 14.06.2012 22:19, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> When I call again the Check Update funtion in OOo 3.3.0 I get to the main
> download page with the following URL:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>

> No indication about "de" in the URL and I don't pointed to the German main page.
>
> However, in SVN I see this:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/?utm_source=OOo3_3_de&amp;utm_medium=Client&amp;utm_campaign=Upgrade
>

> Is there something wrong or do I have overlooked a byte?

I also do not know where the URL without the language code is coming from.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

>>> I tend to agree with you.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, #2 is not a real advantage (I'm only speak for the German
>>> webpage). The main page is in German, yes, but right the next click
>>> on the
>>> big donwload button brings the user to an English-speaking webpage.
>>>
>>> However, I would say that the "http://www.openoffice.org/de/" link
>>> can be
>>> indeed chosen. Just because this will give the German main page more
>>> attention than before. And - who knows - maybe also more volunteers
>>> willing
>>> to work on the German webpages.

>> I have activated OOo 3.3 update for: - Chinese (simplified) with download
>> page http://www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/ - Chinese (traditional) with
>> http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/ - Dutch with
>> http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html - French with
>> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/ - German with
>> http://www.openoffice.org/de/

When I call again the Check Update funtion in OOo 3.3.0 I get to the
main download page with the following URL:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade

No indication about "de" in the URL and I don't pointed to the German
main page.

However, in SVN I see this:

http://www.openoffice.org/de/?utm_source=OOo3_3_de&amp;utm_medium=Client&amp;utm_campaign=Upgrade

Is there something wrong or do I have overlooked a byte?

Thanks

Marcus

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

- German with http://www.openoffice.org/de/

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

#2 is it gives the user additional NL context, including the AOO 3.4
announcement and other material.  So #2 is probably easier for someone
with less English language skills.

-Rob

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Ok, I will add en-US tomorrow morning 10:00 (GMT+2).
>>>

>> I was a little bit late - I was caught by some hacking to solve issues.
>>
>> OOo 3.3 Update Service is now active for:
>> - Italian since Tuesday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>> - Spanish and Japanese since Thurday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>> - English (US) since Friday 11:00 (GMT+2)
>>

> We are in a good shape with our OOo 3.3 update service.
>
> Thus, I will add tomorrow morning 09:30 (GMT+2)
> - Chinese (simplified) with download page http://www.openoffice.org/download
> - Chinese (traditional) with http://www.openoffice.org/download
> - Dutch with http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html
> - French with http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
> - German with http://www.openoffice.org/download
> I will do so, if nobody raises any objections.

No problem on SourceForge side, we had no issue to handle the
extra-traffic so far, and we are in good shape to manage those too.

Roberto

--
====

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 07.06.2012 14:19, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

>>> Thx for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Thus, for German we will direct the user to English (US) download page.
>>>
>>> Question for discussion:
>>> Should we use the English (US) download page as a fallback for the
>>> languages
>>> for which we have no localized download page?
>>> orw's opinion: I am not in favor of such a fallback, but I currently see
>>> no
>>> other solution.
>>>

>> I think we still want to gradually enable the upgrade notifications
>> over the next week.  Maybe we start with those that have good NL
>> download pages.  But at the end, we really need to enable everyone to
>> upgrade.  AOO 3.4 has important security patches.  So at the end, if
>> there is no good NL page we would direct them to the default English
>> page.   And if we get an improved NL page in the future, we can add
>> support for that,
>>
>>> Another question for discussion:
>>> Does it make sense to adapt the URL parameter "utm_source=OOo3_3" to
>>> "utm_source=OOo3_3_[language code]" in order to distinguish the languages
>>> on
>>> this level?
>>>

>> Not really necessary.  Google already tracks the country and locale,
>> so we can already see the distribution that way.  It also tracks the
>> platform.
>>

> That is right.
> But Google Analytics can not track the language of the installed OOo 3.3
> which directs the user to the download page.

Right.  If the locale of the browser differs from the locale of the
OOo 3.3 installation then GA will report the locale of the browser.
This might be an issue eventually because OOo supports more languages
than the browsers do,

> Thus, I propose to perform the above proposed change to the URL parameter.

OK

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> That is right.
>>> But Google Analytics can not track the language of the installed OOo 3.3
>>> which directs the user to the download page.
>>> Thus, I propose to perform the above proposed change to the URL
>>> parameter.
>>>

>> A mystery:   I'm still seeing a small % (a little of 1%) of downloads
>> coming with the utm_source parameter set to "OOo3_3", without any
>> language code.  But when I check your XML file I don't see this.
>>
>> Any idea what this could be coming from?
>>

> I have no idea, too.
> May be a caching issue?

Maybe user-level "caching"?  Someone could have bookmarked the link,
planning to return to it later to do the upgrade.  Or sent it in an
email to colleges, or posed on Facebook, etc.  That could explain it
as well.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/07/2012 02:19 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> German ->  http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>>
>>> On the mainpage "http://www.openoffice.org/de/" there is only one big link
>>> that
>>> points to the central download webpage.
>>>
>>> However, there are still some errors, so I'll update the site a bit to
>>> make it
>>> more Apache-like.
>>>

>> Thx for the feedback.
>>
>> Thus, for German we will direct the user to English (US) download page.
>>
>> Question for discussion:
>> Should we use the English (US) download page as a fallback for the languages
>> for which we have no localized download page?
>> orw's opinion: I am not in favor of such a fallback, but I currently see no
>> other solution.
>>

> I think we still want to gradually enable the upgrade notifications
> over the next week.  Maybe we start with those that have good NL
> download pages.  But at the end, we really need to enable everyone to
> upgrade.  AOO 3.4 has important security patches.  So at the end, if
> there is no good NL page we would direct them to the default English

Yes, I also think that the webpage in English is better than nothing.

> page.   And if we get an improved NL page in the future, we can add
> support for that,

Right.

>> Another question for discussion:
>> Does it make sense to adapt the URL parameter "utm_source=OOo3_3" to
>> "utm_source=OOo3_3_[language code]" in order to distinguish the languages on
>> this level?

+1. Then we can see which language builds are really downloaded
independent from the browser. And on this way we can identify the
hotspots of interest.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 06.06.2012 16:37, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> from what we have experienced so far from the "first phase" of the OOo 3.3
>> update service it makes sense to me to have the full OOo 3.3 update service
>> working at the end of this week.
>>
>> As we would like to direct our users to a localized download page, if
>> possible, I want to put our attention on the "planned" download pages.
>> Rob already started a similar thread - namely "Audit of NL home pages" [1],
>> but I am not sure, if the one or the other already took action.
>>
>> Please provide feedback regarding to which page the OOo 3.3 update
>> functionality should direct the user for these languages.
>>

> Also, for each of these URL's you will also want to add the URL
> parameters (utm_campaign, etc.) just as you did with the Italian
> updates.

Yes, of course

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.