Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com> on 2019/07/23 17:43:50 UTC

Updating for future jdk versions

Hi turbine devs,

I just went through and tested building fulcrum components with
jdk-12.0.2 (latest) and pushed a couple of updates that allowed for some
of the broken components to build.  Georg - json has some issues still
that I did not work out that will need to be addressed.  Also
commonsemail (move to attic?) makes a single call to a CORBA InputStream
that would require either replacing or adding the required modules to
the build profile.  However, I think this is one of several components
we can probably move to the attic.

fulcrum-jetty was giving me some issues building just as is (test seemed
to hang) but not sure if that is just my machine or something else.

I'm not sure what our roadmap looks like to move beyond Java8, but we
should start thinking about it.  Hopefully this exercise is of help in
that effort :-)

-

Jeffery

Re: Re: Updating for future jdk versions

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
I totally agree, but would like to point out, that all things are
desireable and might at the beginning be quite simple to achieve here and
there, but may get also more complicated or better to say possibly
intransparent, if considering different use cases. As a result I would
accordingly quite strongly suggest to keep the HTTP/1 Servlet intact and
add new features separately on activation. Do we cover all features in
Servlet 3.x, e.g. AsyncContext? This might be also a candidate to add as
an optional layer on activation.

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  30.07.2019 21:24
Betreff:        Re: Updating for future jdk versions

On 30.07.19 17:28, Jeffery Painter wrote:
> That's terrific! Thanks for looking into this.  I have been so busy I
> forgot :-) We should be thinking about our roadmap - moving beyond Java8
> and maybe Java servlet 4.0 (2017 release) or 4.1?

I think Turbine should support some of the new servlet features such as
web sockets, asynchronous requests, server push and HTTP/2.

Bye, Thomas

Re: Updating for future jdk versions

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
+1