Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ja...@indus.com on 2002/06/14 01:34:20 UTC

Is there a way to reverse engineer a WAR file for a struts app?

I have a WAR file for my struts app that I created from the JRE command
line with the 'jar' command. I then created an EAR file with the
Application Assembly tool in Websphere Application Server 4.0, then
deployed to WAS 4.0. My struts app was developed with Visual Age for Java
4.0 and tested with Tomcat. I now want to test with WAS 4.0 running on
Win2K, then once that works, will deploy to WAS 4.x on ZOS. While testing
with WAS 4.0 I got null pointer exceptions in areas of the code that worked
fine with Tomcat. So now it looks like I need a debugger to test with WAS
so I can step through the code and find out why the null pointer
exceptions. For this purpose, I installed Websphere Studio 4.0 with the
debugging tool. The question is does anyone know if I can turn my WAR file
into an application on Studio? In other words is there a way to 'reverse
engineer' a WAR file into an application that can be debugged?
The option of using Websphere Application Server from within VAJ is always
there I suppose, but that's WAS 3.5.3 and I specifically want to use WAS
4.x.
Thanks in advance.
Jane

This email message and all attachments transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Please DO NOT forward this email outside of the recipient's Company unless expressly authorized to do so herein.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email

Any views expressed in this email message are those of the individual sender except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Indus
 International, Inc.

Re: Is there a way to reverse engineer a WAR file for a struts app?

Posted by Mark Nichols <dh...@hotmail.com>.
> In other words is there a way to 'reverse
> engineer' a WAR file into an application that can be debugged?

Did you include the source when you originally created your WAR file? If so
I think you should be able to load the WAR into WSAD and then set
breakpoints/debug it.

Or I could be wrong.

</mark>