Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bernhard Merkle <be...@googlemail.com> on 2008/07/31 08:53:53 UTC

svnadmin setuuid: and then how to "update" client WC ?

Hi

I ran into a problem with UUID as a while ago I created an empty
_template_repo. (a bad idea)
Copying this _template_repo to instead of creating a new one is a bad
practice as i learned,
as they have the same UUID.

now i can correct the situation with "svnadmin setuuid" on the server side,
but do all my clients have to checkout a new WC ?
update is not working because of the new UUID.

I there a more comfortable way to update my clients WC instead of checking
out everything new ?
(something like switch URL for UUID... ;-)

thanks,
Bernhard.

Re: svnadmin setuuid: and then how to "update" client WC ?

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/31 Bernhard Merkle <be...@googlemail.com>:

> Is there a more comfortable way to update my clients WC instead of checking
> out everything new ?
> (something like switch URL for UUID... ;-)

Have not heard of such a tool. You may try googling.

But, well, you make write one. You need to replace the string recursively
in your .svn/entries files.
Beware, though, that you have to preserve the line endings and other special
characters (e.g. 0x0c) in the file how they already are.

Disclaimer: following this advice is on your own risk.

Otherwise, check out the new working copies. It is guaranteed to work.

Re: svnadmin setuuid: and then how to "update" client WC ?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 31, 2008, at 03:53, Bernhard Merkle wrote:

> I ran into a problem with UUID as a while ago I created an empty
> _template_repo. (a bad idea)
> Copying this _template_repo to instead of creating a new one is a
> bad practice as i learned,
> as they have the same UUID.

Correct. And you very much want each unique repository to have a
different Universally Unique IDentifier.

> now i can correct the situation with "svnadmin setuuid" on the
> server side, but do all my clients have to checkout a new WC ?
> update is not working because of the new UUID.
>
> I there a more comfortable way to update my clients WC instead of
> checking out everything new ?
> (something like switch URL for UUID... ;-)

You'll have to check out new working copies.