Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Marco Knuettel <ma...@knuettel.de> on 2003/08/13 12:07:43 UTC

Memory Problem

Hi *,

i want tu use FOP to create PDF-Files on the fly in a webapplication.
My servlet is creating the PDF, but i have to start the tomcat with
-mx512m.
If the servlet is creating the pdf it use 400Mb Ram. But this reserved
Memory is always reserved :-((
I tryed to reset the imageCache, but its not better :-((

How can i free the reserved memory?

Greetings
     Marco

Re: Memory Problem

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Marco Knuettel wrote:
> i want tu use FOP to create PDF-Files on the fly in a webapplication.
> My servlet is creating the PDF, but i have to start the tomcat with
> -mx512m.
> If the servlet is creating the pdf it use 400Mb Ram. But this reserved
> Memory is always reserved :-((
> I tryed to reset the imageCache, but its not better :-((
>
> How can i free the reserved memory?

You seem to be concerned about the amount of memory allocated
for the JVM by the OS.
Short answer: you can't.
Slightly longer answer: evaluate different JVMs whether they
are inclined or can be otherwise told to release unused memory.

In either case, it is something Java programmers can't to
anything about.

J.Pietschmann