Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/12/20 04:25:44 UTC

*** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

Guys,

Apache has set up Jira on nagoya (http://nagoya.apache.org/jira).  We are in
the process of working with codehaus to migrate all of the ASF projects.

We're currently using a test load from codehaus.  We have done some
preliminary checks, and it appears to be working OK.  We have purged the
non-ASF projects, and just checked around the ASF ones, but we'd like each
project to take a look and report any problems.

Please report any problems to jira@apache.org.  Note again: this is just a
test.  Feel free to test whatever features you need; when we do the live
migration, all data will be deleted.  If there are no reported problems, we
will pickup another dump from codehaus, at which time those projects will be
made read-only.

	--- Noel

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
The initial message was cross-posted to notify the specific projects that
are represented in the test migration.

Please do NOT cross-post (yes, I understand the irony of cross-posting to
ask that people not cross-post).  If you want to discuss our Jira
installation, a reasonable cross-project venue would be
community@apache.org.

	--- Noel

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Mitchell asked:

> From their online demo:

http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10450&pr
iorityIds=4&resolutionIds=-1

> System Error
> A system error has occurred.
> [...]
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
> [...]
> Total Memory: 346 MB
> Free Memory: 2 MB
> Used Memory: 344 MB

> I don't recall ever seeing that in Bugzilla.
> I assume that this won't happen to us???

That would be our goal, and one of the reasons for asking people to beat up
on our test installation.  :-)  Steps that we can take to avoid the problem
you experienced on Atlassian's demonstration site, include:

 - We already allocate twice their heap space.
 - We can use the Java Service Wrapper* to monitor
   for such exceptions, and automatically restart.
 - other practices intended to improve webapp availability
   and reliability.

So thank you for the report, and be sure to notify jira@apache.org of any
problem with our Jira installation, so that we can make sure that Atlassion
knows of them.  AIUI, many of the changes between 2.5.0 and 2.5.3 are due to
their looking at what it takes to support our needs.

	--- Noel

* see: http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/

  I don't know if Jakarta Commons daemon supports
  that feature, but if/when it does that would be
  an equivalent approach.

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

RE: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

Re: *** JIRA - PLEASE CHECK/TEST ***

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

>From their online demo:
http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10450&priorityIds=4&resolutionIds=-1

System Error

A system error has occurred.

If this problem persists - please notify your JIRA administrator of this
problem.

If you are an administrator, please try submitting this problem via the
Support Request Page.

If you experience problems getting to this support page, please send an
email to jira-support@atlassian.com with the following information:

   1. a description of your problem
   2. cut & paste the error and system information found below
   3. attach the application server log file

Cause:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Stack Trace: [hide]

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Referer URL:
http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

System Information:
System Date: Saturday, 20 Dec 2003
System Time: 07:26:44
Java Version: 1.4.2_02
Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
JVM Version: 1.0
JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
JVM Implementation Version: 1.4.2_02-b03
Java Runtime: Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
User Name: orion
User Timezone: US/Central
Operating System: Linux 2.4.9-e.30
OS Architecture: i386
Application Server Container: Orion/2.0.2
Total Memory: 346 MB
Free Memory: 2 MB
Used Memory: 344 MB
Uptime: 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 24 seconds
Edition: Enterprise
Version: 2.5.3
Build Number: 59

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Apache has set up Jira on nagoya (http://nagoya.apache.org/jira).  We are in
> the process of working with codehaus to migrate all of the ASF projects.
>
> We're currently using a test load from codehaus.  We have done some
> preliminary checks, and it appears to be working OK.  We have purged the
> non-ASF projects, and just checked around the ASF ones, but we'd like each
> project to take a look and report any problems.
>
> Please report any problems to jira@apache.org.  Note again: this is just a
> test.  Feel free to test whatever features you need; when we do the live
> migration, all data will be deleted.  If there are no reported problems, we
> will pickup another dump from codehaus, at which time those projects will be
> made read-only.
>
> 	--- Noel

James Mitchell
Software Developer / Struts Evangelist